8-I was their Ace

Hello, everyone!

Double update again? Hell yeah!

Hope you'll enjoy!

Oh, and please tell me what you think about this story! It means a lot to me :D

-Shuzuku Higami

↜♡❖♡↝

↜(Y/N) Pov↝

"Allow me to introduce myself to the forty-two remaining applicants." said the Gramps- I mean Chairman Netero. "I am Netero, Chairman of this year's Hunter Exam Selection Committee." "I am his secretary, Beans." said a guy with a green head.

Netero continued: "Originally, I'd planned to make my appearance during the Exam's final phase, but as I'm already here..." He looked at each of us, then stated: "I'm loving this tension in the air! So I think I'll stick around for the rest of the trip."

Tension? I don't feel a thing. It's actually quite boring right now. I'd much rather be talking to Killua and Gon. Beans said: "We are scheduled to arrive at our destination tomorrow morning, at 8 AM. You'll find dinner waiting in the dining hall. You are also welcome to get some rest. In other words, you're free to do as you please until you are contacted."

"Okay, Gon, (Y/N)! Let's explore the airship!" said Killua, immediately causing me to smile. "Yeah!" answered Gon, with me saying: "Let's go!" And with that, we quickly left.

↜Time skip: a little later↝

↜(Y/N) Pov↝

"Hey, there! Kids! Stay out of the kitchen! Go eat in the dining hall!" scolded the cook, throwing all three of us out of the kitchen. I puffed my cheeks out, saying: "We just wanted a snack, old man." He glared at me as he slammed the door shut.

While we were walking, Killua suddenly said: "Wow, awesome! Look!" "Hmm? What is it?" asked Gon and I at the same time, quickly joining his side and looking out of the window. My eyes widened as I took in the breathtaking view.

Since it was already dark outside, most of the buildings below us had turned on their lights, and it looked amazing. Like it was sparkling. I've never seen anything like this before. This is... This is what I came here for.

"Hey, I was wondering..." trailed Gon off, causing me to look at him. He then asked: "Where are your guys' mom and dad?" Hearing that question, I froze. My parents?

"Hmm... They're alive. Probably." answered Killua, gaining my attention. "What do they do?" I asked, tilting my head a little. He glanced at me as he answered: "They're assassins." "Oh, I understand now!" I said, smiling brightly. Gon, a bit taken back, asked: "Huh? Both of them?"

Killua began laughing, asking: "That's your guys' first reaction? You really are a riot!" "Huh?" "You're the first people that ever responded seriously." "Well, you're telling the truth, right?" asked Gon.

"What makes you think that?" asked Killua, now more serious. Gon answered: "It's just a hunch." "I mean, I can tell that it's the truth." I said, raising my hand into the air. They both looked at me, causing me to chuckle.

"I told you before, Killua. I can tell how strong someone is with a single glance." I told them honestly. "You can? How?" asked Gon, causing me to nod. "Anything is an indicator. Like their posture, the way their eyes move to inspect the area, even the way they breathe." I answered.

Gon asked: "That makes sense... Why can you do that?" "Experience." I said, shrugging my shoulders, quickly adding: "Back to the previous topic. Killua, I don't think you're lying."

Killua let out a soft sigh, saying: "It's weird... People only like me because they can't ever tell whether I'm serious." His eyes met mine for a moment, and he clearly contemplated on what to say. Then, he spoke up.

"I'm from a family of assassins. So they're all assassins. And my family has really high hopes for me... But I can't stand it. Who wants to have their life planned out for them?"

My eyes widened a little as I looked away from him. I stared outside, placing my hands onto the glass, feeling just how cold it is. He's right. Who wants to have everything commanded by someone else? It honestly sucks.

"When I told them I wanted to decide my own future, they all snapped! My mother had tears streaming down her face, as she told me I have the potential to be a top assassin. Horrible parents, right? It's natural their kid would go bad."

I had to laugh a little at his words, a single scene flashing in my mind. It was the younger me, standing in a large arena. The ground was cracked in some places, and then I looked up. My parents sat there, staring down at me with stern expressions. My father mouthed the words 'you better win', while my mother simply looked away.

I was brought out of my thoughts as Killua said: "We ended up fighting. So I stabbed my mother in the face, my brother in the side, and ran away from home. I'm sure they're out for blood now. But if they find me, I'll send them packing."

Gon and I had to chuckle at his way of telling this story that was actually pretty dark. "When I become a Hunter, I'll start by capturing my family. I'm sure they're worth some hefty bounties..." he said.

I grinned, looking back outside. "What about your parents, (Y/N)?" he asked me, causing me to close my eyes. I could see them towering over me, my father shaking his head in disappointment while my mother was screaming at me.

"Since you shared so much, I'll do, too. I normally don't, so you should feel honored." I joked, looking at both of them. They were quiet, both clearly interested in what I had to say. But the look in Killua's eyes was something different. It was like he was only waiting for me to start opening up. Which I did.

"Ever heard of the Colosseum?" I asked, to which they thought for a moment. "Isn't that what Hisoka had mentioned when you came back to safe me?" asked Gon back, causing me to nod.

"Well, that's where I was born and raised. My mother was part of the founding family of the Colosseum, and my father was a well-known Gladiator there that ended up marrying her. They then had me and made me fight ever since I could walk. They did make an exception of the rules for me. I wouldn't have to die, even if I lost. That only counted until I turned seven, though."

Killua was looking out of the window, listening intently to what I had to say. "I got better and better, and eventually, I was send out to fight on a daily basis. I had mastered every weapon they had there by the age of six. I was their Ace. The Ace of the Colosseum. Their main source of entertainment. I'm a Gladiator. One of the best out there." I said, pride starting to fill my very soul.

Looking down, I continued: "But whenever I lost, they would punish me by denying me food and shelter. One time, I had to sleep in the streets for two weeks. But when I would win, they would shower me with praise, just to tell me that I would have another fight the next day. It would never end."

"So you ran away?" asked Gon carefully, making me nod, answering: "Yep. I ran away. I didn't want to be their money-making-tool anymore. I didn't want to entertain the people that paid money to see a child fight some grown ups to the death. I didn't want to lie to myself anymore. They never loved me. They only tolerated me because of my strength. Because I was profitable."

Chuckling dryly, I added: "It's just like you said, Killua. Who wants to have their life planned out for them? Who wants to spend their life doing what you're told every day? It sucks." "Then you got those scars from your fights." stated Gon, looking at my exposed arms. I brushed over them, saying: "Yeah. I usually cover them up, but you know what happened."

It was quiet for a moment. Great. I just made the tension raise higher than we currently are up in the air. I pushed myself away from the window, saying: "I'm sorry for oversharing. I should've just kept quiet, huh? I... need a little space."

I began to walk away, my heart starting to ache. Man, I really like those two. I shouldn't have said anything at all. I should've just lied. Now, they probably fear me, too. I'm just so stupid! There I go, ruining another friendship!