Chapter 6 - Squirrels

Deeps breaths Amy, c’mon you got this. He wanted to see you remember; he already liked you for some reason so just keep it cool. I exhaled as I turned the doorknob.

            “Hi” I said with a nervous smile.

            “Hi, you look…wonderful.” Niall’s eyes lit up and a blush rose up in my cheeks.

            “Thanks.” I bit my lip anxiously. “So, umm…my mom should be down in a second. She just wants to make sure you aren’t some serial killer, or something. Sorry, this must be weird.” I trailed off.

            “No, not at all. If I had a daughter I’d do the same thing.” He said reassuringly.

            Just then my mom came around the corner. She was smiling and looked friendly enough. Maybe this wouldn’t be too awkward. Maybe.

            “Hello.” She had an odd tone to her voice. I couldn’t quite tell what it was.

            “Hi, nice to meet you Mrs… umm…?” He looked slightly nervous too. Maybe he was hearing the same tone in my mom’s voice that I was hearing.

            “Chase.” She said with a grin. “So what are you two going to be doing this morning?”

            “Well it was going to be a surprise, but I couldn’t really come up with anything.” He said this apologetically. “We’re just going out to lunch.”

            “Alright then, I expect her back in one piece. Make smart decisions.” She said that last part to me mostly. It was a common phrase in our household. She trusted me, but she always said it just in case I suddenly decided to rebel I suppose.

            “Amy will be back by 4, our flight leaves at 5:30. Thank you, Mrs. Chase.”

            “Bye, mom, love you” my voice was slightly higher than usual.

            A quick hug was exchanged between my mother and me and then the door was closed. I let out a long breath that I hadn’t been totally aware I was holding. Niall gave me a shy but reassuring smile as we made our way toward the car. The driver was in the front seat and a thin black shield separated us from him. I was getting nervous again. I wouldn’t have noticed but I caught my reflection on the window. My eyes were big and my eyebrows were slightly furrowed. I tried to straighten out my face before Niall noticed.

            “I hope that wasn’t too bad” I apologized for my mother’s odd behavior.

            “Don’t worry about it. Now we only have a few hours and I want to make it count. It’s about a 45 minute drive to the restaurant so I figured we could get to know each other a little more on the way.”

            “Alright then. Would you like to start or do you want me to?”

            “I already asked you quite a few questions before so you start.”

            “When’s your birthday?”

            “September 13th.” He stated.

            I thought for a moment. “What do you like to do most?”

            “Play guitar.”

            “Favorite word?”

            He contemplated for a moment. “Potatoes”