Chapter 17

People crowded the streets. Bruno's breathing quickened a little and his palms grew sweaty. (y/n) looked at him and gave a small, reassuring smile. "It'll be alright, corazon." Bruno gave her a small, grateful smile.

 "Tio Bruno! Come play the ring toss with me! I need a partner." Camilo called out. Bruno looked over at him before looking at (y/n).

 (Y/N) chuckled a little. "It's fine. Go on." 

 "I'll be back." Bruno said softly, kissing her cheek before walking away towards his nephew.

 As he walked, he could feel some of the people staring at him. How he wished he could put his hood on and pretend to be Hernando, who wasn't scared of anything. But, he wasn't wearing his old ruana with the hood. He was wearing his new one without a hood. Plus, he did promise he wasn't going to hide away under his hood or behind his hair. 

 Bruno was doing his best to ignore the looks some of the townsfolk gave him, as he played, but, it was difficult. You'd think for a man like Bruno Madrigal, he'd be used to it by now. And, he basically was. But, that didn't mean it hurt any less. The townsfolk, yes, stopped hating on him. But most were still wary and gave him awkward looks. Some tried to avoid him as much as possible. 

 "At least I don't have to deal with any hurtful comments..." Bruno thought.

 "Tio!" a voice suddenly brought him out of his thoughts. He turned to look at Camilo. "You're not paying much attention to the game, Tio Bruno. Are you alright?"

 "Yes, Camilo. I'm fine." Bruno nodded and gave the boy a smile.

 "Ok...?" At that moment, he caught sight of Mirabel and the Lorenzo Twins. He smiled brightly. "Camilla's here! I'll be back, tio. I just wanna say hi." 

 "Go ahead. I'll be fine." Bruno replied, smiling knowingly at his curly haired nephew. He chuckled as he watched him run off in the direction of his cousin and crush, before going over to the table containing drinks and food. But, before he could get there, he tripped on his own feet, knocking over young woman in the process. His eyes were wide as he stared at the young woman and the man she was with.

 "You got punch all over my new ruana!"

 "I'm so sorry, Marco! It was an accident!" the woman exclaimed. 

 The young man smiled at her and helped her up. "Don't worry about it, Clara. Let's just....go get you some more punch...." the man gave Bruno a look before leading the woman away. 

 Bruno stood up and sighed heavily. They didn't even give him a chance to apologize. But, even if they did, he wasn't sure he could muster up enough courage to speak. He was hyper aware of all the looks people were giving him. He shook his head and ran off, tears forming in his eyes.

 (y/n) was talking to a couple of townsfolk at the buffet table, when she noticed Bruno approaching them. She gasped when she saw him trip and knock over the woman. She quickly excused herself, and walked towards Bruno, as the couple walked away from him, but not before giving him a wary look. She felt her heart clench in sadness when she saw the look on Bruno's face.

 "Bruno! Wait!" she exclaimed, as Bruno ran off. "I have to go after him...But where could he have gone...?" She thought for a moment before brightening up. The woman hurried away to the park. She did remember an old place where she and Bruno used to go as kids. Bruno took her there when they were ten. It was a place he said he'd always go when he needed to be alone or needed time to think. The park was lit up with lights, decorating the trees. Many couples sat on blankets in the grass, or on benches in the evening light, holding hands. 

 She walked further into the park, away from all the people. The more she walked, the quieter the music from the festival became. She finally came upon a small stream, a couple trees right near it. Bruno was sitting underneath one of the trees, his head in his lap as he hugged his knees. She gave a small sigh of relief, glad she had found him. She gave a small frown as she knelt down beside him, putting her hand on his back. He jumped at the unexpected contact and looked next to him to see his girlfriend, giving him a sad smile.

 "It's alright, Bruno...I'm here..." she said soothingly, putting her arms around him. He hugged her back gratefully.

 "I'm sorry I left..." Bruno said quietly, after they had let go of the embrace. He looked away from her. 

 "Are you alright, mi amor..?" (y/n) asked softly.

 He nodded slowly. "Yea...I guess I just got a little overwhelmed..."

 "That's fine. We all get that way at some point in our lives." (y/n) replied. 

 Bruno nodded before giving a small scoff. "I just couldn't take it...I tried...I really did, (y/n)!"

 "I know, Bruno...It isn't your fault. You're doing your best. And you're getting better." (y/n) chuckled a little. "Besides, Julietta told me you were stealing some arepa con queso just a couple days ago. You must be getting better if you're sneaking food." Bruno blushed in embarrassment. He always did enjoy his sister's cooking. (Y/N) chuckled a little at his blush. 

 In the distance, the two could hear a slow song start. (y/n) looked over at Bruno. "Would you like to dance, mi corazon?"

 "Um...S-sure..." Bruno nodded slowly. The two stood up and joined hands. 

 Bruno and (y/n) gazed passionately into each other's eyes. They smiled lovingly. 

 *So many nights, I sat by my window...Waiting for someone to sing me his song...* (y/n) thought, the words to the song they were dancing to filling her mind.

 *So many dreams, I kept deep inside me...Alone in the dark, but now you've come along,* The words to the song went through Bruno's mind as they danced. 

 *You light up my life! You give me hope to carry on! You light up my days, and fill my nights....With song....*  The couple thought in unison.

 The words the the song the couple danced to, seemed to fit them like a glove. They could both relate to it. Both had been so lonely after Bruno left. And now, he was home where he belonged. They were together, being held in each other's arms.

 *Rollin' at sea...Adrift on the water....Could it be finally, I'm heading for home?*

 *Finally a chance, to say, 'Hey, I love you!'*

 *Never again to be all alone!*

 Bruno twirled her around, as the two smiled at one another, enjoying themselves thoroughly.

 *And you light up my life! You give me hope to carry on!*

 *You light up my days, and fill my nights, with song...*

 *You light up my life! You give me hope to carry on! You light up my days and fill my nights with song...*

 *It can't be wrong when it feels so right....'Cause you, you light up my life!*

The two smiled, as the music ended and they stopped dancing. They stayed in in each other's arms, perfectly content, basking in one another's company. 

 "Thank you for being there for me...." Bruno said quietly.

 "Of course, Bruno...I love you...I will always be there for you..." (y/n) smiled, kissing his cheek. "You've always lit up my life, Bruno..."

 "And you've always lit up mine...I love you too.." 

 *Meanwhile*

 Julietta and Pepa had seen (y/n) hurrying away and followed her. They smiled as they watched their brother and friend. It was heartwarming to the sisters, knowing their brother finally had someone that would love him the way their husbands loved them. The two were grateful to (y/n). They were grateful to her for being his friend and being there for him whenever he needed her. Most of all, however, they were grateful to her for loving their younger brother. The three triplets had been close growing up and were close now. Bruno's older sisters could see at times he seemed a little lonely and maybe a tad jealous of them, although he was very happy for them. Now he didn't have to feel lonely or jealous. He could feel the warmth and joy love brings. And for that, Pepa and Julietta would always be grateful.