CH 39

Gino

"Stay in the car, Bunny." I was reloading my gun.

I felt sick to my stomach. My head was spinning and my heart was aching. Charlie did that to me. I never let anyone who wasn't family get close to me but Charlie....I looked over at her.

She was beautiful. She was gorgeous and I loved being with her. It felt real. When we first met, she was tough. She was never afraid to tell me how she was feeling. Everything between us felt so real.

It literally broke me when I found out she was a cop. I didn't want to believe it. My papa and I got into a huge fight over it. One of his guys, one of the guys on the list had told him.

The list I had cracked. I should have known my father would have used code names for those men. Powerful men in high ranking offices. The cipher was a favorite novel of his. How didn't I see it?

I knew why. My brain turned to mush around Charlie. She was my kryptonite and I didn't want to lose her. I knew what I did was stupid. Hurting her the way I did. I was just so angry with her.

Did I regret it? A part of me did. The other part wanted to take her and teach her another lesson. She was my girl. Xavier stole her from me.

As much as I hated to admit it, I basically drove them together. He nursed her back to health. Of course she fell in love with him.

"Giovanni, I'm not staying in the car." I loved when she was bossy. It was sexy. She was independent. That was just her. That part wasn't an act and it turned me on.

"You are, Bunny." I turned my car off, handing her the keys. "You and I have different views on getting something done. Now do you want Xavier back or not?"

She looked...conflicted. "Why are you helping me?"

I wasn't sure but that was a lie. I knew why. It was for her. I'd do anything for her even rescue a cop from dirty cops. "It doesn't matter. Wait in the car. I'll be back in ten minutes." I told her.

She hesitated. She looked so cute. I just wanted to kiss her. "Okay...just...if you aren't back in ten minutes, I'm coming in."

I'd be back in less than that time but she didn't need to know that. "Whatever." I grumbled, climbing out of my car.

I shouldn't even be here with her. I had unfinished business to take care of. If her rat of a partner hadn't kidnapped her, I wouldn't even be with her right now. But...a part of me was happy I could help her.

The building they were keeping Xavier in was an old abandoned building. There weren't any guards outside and just two of them inside.

I wanted to kill them. I didn't like leaving witnesses. But, I didn't want to look into Charlie's eyes and lie to her. For some reason it bothered me when I lied to her.

I snuck up on the two guards, knocking them both out cold. I recognized them. I knew they were cops at one of the precincts in the area. My dad kept a list of not only the cops that we had on payroll, but also potential cops we could turn.

The list of dirty cops was a lot longer than the list of faithful cops. The system was corrupt and dirty. I didn't understand why Charlie couldn't see that.

There were a bunch of lock doors and a long hallway. I went down the hallway and found a door that wasn't locked. I readied my gun before going inside.

"How did you-" I shot the man who was guarding Xavier. It was either that or getting shot. I wasn't planning on dying anytime soon.

I walked over to the man. He was bleeding out from his neck. I shot him in the head. It didn't make sense for him to be in pain.

Okay...so...I just wouldn't mention him to her.