CH 12

Nolan

I didn't hate Charlie. In fact, I liked her. She was good for my cousin. I never seen him so happy over a woman before and that made me happy.

I liked her personality. She didn't take crap from anyone. I already knew she was a good cop because I read her record, now I knew for sure after meeting her.

"Can you do me a favor and seriously stop giving her a hard time!" He hissed at me while we waited on Charlie by his front door. "She's not going anywhere, Nolan. In fact, I want to marry her."

That didn't surprise me. I knew it hadn't been that long but I knew he was serious about her. Xavier was a man content with his dog and job. He dated but it wasn't because he was looking to be in a relationship. The fact that Charlie was even staying with him, told me he was into her.

"You don't seem surprised?" He said.

I shrugged, "I like her and I like her for you. I'll stop pissing her off."

"I wasn't giving you a choice."

I laughed before saying, "She's hot when she's riled up." I could always appreciate a beautiful woman.

"You're fortunate you're my cousin and I love you. But, don't ever say that again."

I held my hands up in defense. "All right, all right. I can't even compliment her."

"No, you can't. Just act normal."

He was seriously serious about her. "What about your dad? You know he's not going to be happy."

He nodded, "I know. One step at a time. Let's fix this mess she's in and I'll worry about my dad later."

Xavier loved his father. I loved his father too. In fact, I had a better relationship with his father than my own. It was probably why I viewed him more as my younger brother, though I was only six months older than him.

"Hey, I'm sorry." I hit his arm.

"I know."

We did the bro hug. "Just don't treat her bad anymore. Charlie's special."

Yeah, I could tell she was. Something about her....she drew people to her. She was like a magnet but I knew that wasn't on purpose. It was just her.

"I'm ready." She came to the front dressed in an oversized sweater and a pair of jeans. She wasn't wearing makeup and her hair was pulled off her face.

She was gorgeous, wearing a plain outfit, hair pulled back and no makeup. How hot did she look dolled up?

Henry followed her, whimpering. Xavier chuckled before bending down, rubbing his fur. "You think I'm going to leave you behind, boy?"

Henry started waging his tail when Xavier pulled out his leash. "You can come with us but you have to behave, Henry."

He barked, obviously excited. "I can take it." Charlie offered.

Henry was happy to go to her. That really surprised me. Henry didn't like anyone that wasn't Xavier. He even took forever warming up to my uncle, Xavier's father, Kai.

"Okay, where are we heading?" I asked, pulling out my car keys.

"Bus station over on Old town." Charlie said.

We waited on my cousin to lock his door. "You stashed it over there? That's like one of the roughest parts of town." I said.

"Yeah, and that bus station barely ever gets used. That's why I hid it there. Less traffic."

"But, it's also the territory of Los Angels." Xavier said.

They were a very prominent crime family and were also rivals to the Rivera family. No Rivera would be caught dead over there, because they would end up in a body bag.