CH 3

Charlie

I fell asleep. My body was exhausted and needed the rest. He hadn't tried anything. I don't know why I felt like I could trust him, though he had lied to me.

He told me I had only been out a few days. I knew it had to have been longer. My wounds were in a lot better condition than I remembered.

"Tell me your name." I heard him say softly, causing me to stir.

I opened my eyes and he was staring at me. There was light coming in from the window. I couldn't believe it was already morning. I slept solid without waking up once.

"We're going to be here awhile. I think we should start trusting each other." He said, bringing my attention back to him.

"You first." I said.

He was silent for a long time before saying, "Xavier."

He wasn't lying. His eyes were clear.

"Charlie." I told him.

He smiled. It wasn't a big smile. Just his lips curling softly. "You don't look like a Charlie."

I smiled. I got that a lot. Apparently, I looked too feminine to be called, Charlie.

"What do I look like?"

"Ana...Paula...Claire, maybe, definitely not a Charlie."

"Well, that's the name my mother gave me."

He chuckled, before he reached to pull the blanket tighter around me. "You're a heavy sleeper."

I was. "How long have you been up?"

"Not long."

He was just staring at me. "Were you watching me the whole time?"

"Yes," he didn't even look apologetic. "You look a lot better than the four walls of this cabin."

Oh.

He laughed again, "Don't worry. I'm not going to try anything." He sat up and it was then I realized, he wasn't wearing a shirt. "I liked holding you." He turned back to look at me. "Best sleep I've had in a while."

"Glad I could be of service."

He smiled again. It wasn't a big smile again. I was noticing he did that a lot. "Are you hungry?"

I was starving. "I need to go to the bathroom first."

I needed a bath. I knew he had washed me a few times because when I woke up, I didn't feel dirty.

"Okay. You can wash up too, if you need too." He climbed out before leaning in. "Come here. Hang on tight."

I did, moving my arms around him. He gently pulled me close to him. His dog Henry woke up the minute he had fully stood up.

"I think he was waiting on you." He said softly before looking at Henry. "Come here, Henry."

Xavier carried me to the chair I had been in last night. Henry followed, barking and wagging his tail happily.

"You would think you were his master." He joked, setting me up in the chair.

Henry kneeled next to the chair, lowering his head. "Good morning, Henry." I patted his head and he whimpered happily.

"Let me draw you a bath. You can get cleaned up while I get breakfast going." Xavier said.

"What about you?" I asked, looking up at him.

"I already bathed." He answered.

Oh. I looked around the cabin and realized the fire was going too. "I'm not a late sleeper but it's not like you really can sleep late out here. Too many chores need to be done first thing."