Chapter One

Laney Marie had just moved from a small town in Maine to Nashville, Tennessee. Her heart was set on the sound of the music flowing from the streets ever since she visited on her eighteenth birthday with her parents. Now that she was promoted at her new job to an Event Coordinator at Lipton Events, she was able to make the big jump to Nashville. Holy crap. I did it.
- Laney Marie

She closed her journal as her mom called her in the kitchen for one last hug. "Laney Marie, we are so proud of you and we can't wait to see what you accomplish," she said squeezing Laney extra tight. Tears started to well in her eyes, "I love you thank you for helping". They held each other tightly just holding each other looking around the apartment. The studio was exactly what Laney envisioned on her Pinterest board as a small kid. The wicker baskets for blanket storage, the rustic mirror, the cozy warm lighting, the brown themed apartment.

"Um... I hate to interrupt but we got you something," Mia, Laney's best friend said. She handed over a small box to Laney which had a pair of cowboy boots. The cherry red cowboy boots were everything Laney ever wanted. Her jaw dropped and she squealed as she ran to the mirror to put them on. "I love these, can we wear them before you leave?" Laney gasped.

"Well I leave tomorrow which means it's time for us to go to Broadway tonight," Mia smiled. These two had been through thick and thin, whether it was braces in seventh grade or being dumped by their high school boyfriends, Mia was always by Laney's side. The two walked Laney's mom out the door as tears rolled out of their eyes and they let the Nashville lights slowly flood the apartment.

Laney started to go through her whole closet and see what clothes were suitable for going out here. She didn't want to look too touristy or too dressed down. Before she knew it, she was pulling the clothes off the hangers and putting them on the floor as she dismissed each option. Finally, her hands landed on her red printed Cowgirls tank top to go with the black shorts she already had on. She pulled on her cowboy boots and went to the kitchen island while Mia started her makeup. "Mia I'm making us some drinks before we head out," she said while grabbing the Grey Goose bottle.

Life didn't even seem real right now, it seemed the furthest thing from real. She played some Luke Combs song that she couldn't even focus on while starting on her makeup. "Where should we start?" Mia called out to her. Laney started to zoom in on Google Maps while sipping her second drink at this point. "Let's start at Kid Rocks". The two girls shut the blinds, grabbed their purses, and headed out.

It was hard not to feel excited about every small detail. The typical hot dog stands, the lights of each bar, and the sound of music flooding the almost empty streets. "Guess we chose a good night to go out. No lines," Laney said while walking into Kid Rocks.

Before they knew it, they were drinking one drink at each bar, drunkly ordering a shot at each one to celebrate Laney moving to Nashville. Finally it was time for Aldeans, and the two were drunk but drunk enough to understand and function.

"Laney one more drink pleaseeee," Mia begged.

Before Laney could open her mouth, someone's voice spoke instead, "Three drinks for the beautiful ladies and I. A vodka sprite for them and a whiskey on the rocks for me".

Laney swirled her chair around to face the mystery man in the empty bar. He looked so familiar and Mia knew it too, they shared a look that showed their confusion. "Thanks," Laney said as she inspected him. His eyes met her gaze when she was done eyeing him, "your drink is here".