Chapter 40

Kaylee's POV

**Warning: Sexual Chapter**

Standing there, gnawing on my bottom lip, I looked at Hunter. The air between us was thick with anticipation, a silent plea for one of us to bridge the gap that had formed. I was at a loss for words, tangled up in my undecipherable emotions, so I waited for him to lead the way. His eyes were locked on mine and I felt like he could see right into my mind, reading clearly everything I was trying to keep at bay. After a moment that felt like an eternity, he finally broke the silence, his voice slicing through the cold night air.

"I haven't seen much of you lately," he said, his gaze searching mine. There was a seriousness in his eyes that made my heart skip a beat.

A sharp pang of guilt shot through me, causing me to grit my teeth as I mustered the strength to lie to him, "I've been sick."

He knows I'm full of shit.

His jaw tightened, a clear sign of his displeasure at my feeble attempt at deception, and I strained to maintain a composed facade, resisting the urge to recoil under his icy scrutiny. He examined me closely, his eyebrows lifting in skepticism, his intense grey eyes seeming to delve into my soul. The intensity of his stare tempted me to retreat into the shadows, seeking refuge from the penetrating look. He could see right through me.

His expression swiftly shifted from cold irritation to his customary self-assured demeanor, the familiar mask of nonchalance swiftly returning. He flashed me one of his disarmingly charming smirks, and I nearly melted on the spot. "Hmm, and here I was starting to think you were just avoiding me, darling," he commented, his voice tinged with a playful note.

The chill in his demeanor melted away, replaced by the cocky confidence that was so characteristic of him. His face bore the trademark smirk of unwavering self-assurance, rendering me momentarily breathless. My heartbeat escalated, pounding against my chest as I took in his appearance. The short time apart seemed to have only refined his features to me, making him even more painfully handsome. Clad in a tailored tuxedo, it hugged his form in a way that accentuated the breadth and strength of his shoulders, hinting at the powerful physique beneath without overtly showcasing it. He didn't appear overly muscular, yet there was an undeniable promise of strength, a silent assurance that he could effortlessly lift me. A memory flashed through my mind, confirming that very thought, and a warm blush spread across my cheeks.

The Hunter I was accustomed to—rugged and untamed—seemed worlds apart from the man standing before me now, yet undeniably the same. His effortless charm always captivated me, but witnessing this other side to him, this polished sophistication, only deepened my attraction to him.

Realizing that I had been staring at him wordlessly, I quickly replied, "Just not feeling well." My voice was barely a whisper.

And I've been avoiding this conversation. The thought hung unspoken in the air, another wave of guilt flooding me.

It was true; I had been dodging this inevitable confrontation, fearing the vulnerability it demanded with him, the raw exposure of truths I wasn't ready to face. Deep down, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to follow through with my escape plan if we had this conversation. But here, under the cloak of night, with his gaze piercing through the masks we both wore, evasion seemed futile.

I sighed, knowing that I needed to at least give him a piece of the truth. I sucked in a small breath, considering what to say. I couldn't tell him about my escape plan, but maybe I could be honest with him for a moment. Maybe I could be honest with myself. "I... I've been avoiding more than just people, Hunter," I found myself admitting, the words spilling out. "I've been avoiding facing things—things about us, about Grayson, about me. It's been easier to hide behind excuses than confront the reality of what's happening here."