Chapter 37

Kaylee's POV

I sat on my bed, looking out the window and brought my knees to my chest. I rested my head on top of my knees as my mind raced. The weight of the impending masquerade ball and everything that would come with it bore down on me. Today was the day, and the mixture of nerves and excitement fluttered in my chest. Everything had led to this moment.

I climbed off of my bed, feeling a little antsy, and headed towards the bathroom to prepare myself for the evening ahead.

I stood before the bathroom mirror, my heart racing with anticipation. The mask lay on the vanity and I picked it up, tracing the silver and black vines across its face. This was it.

My eyes slowly drifted up to the mirror in front of me. I looked at myself holding the mask. In some ways, I hardly recognized the person staring back at me. She had the same eyes, the same face, the same hair, but something about her seemed different than the girl I used to be.

I brought a hand up to touch my cheek and watched the girl in the mirror do the same. I wanted so badly to go back to my old life that I never had stopped to wonder if I could. Would the girl in the mirror be capable of forgetting everything that had happened to her and going back to her old life? I didn't have an answer to that question or maybe I just didn't want to come up with one. Either way, it was a question for another day.

I wanted to take my time getting ready and take advantage of the facilities and other items I had been given just one last time. I placed the mask back on the vanity and shirked out of my silky pajamas. I let the pajamas crumble to the floor and turned on the shower. I reached out a hand to test the temperature of the water as the shower started to fill up with steam. I loved how quickly the water in this shower heated up. Not like the crappy apartment I used to live in.

I stepped into the shower, closing the glass door behind me. I closed my eyes as the hot water cascaded down my face. Sighing, I grabbed the shampoo and poured some into my hand before scrubbing my scalp. The shower filled with the scent of roses as the aroma of the shampoo surrounded me.

Today would be an everything shower so I could soak in every last moment in this glorious shower. I would definitely miss this.

I ran some conditioner through my hair before leaning down to begin shaving my legs. The water felt amazing on my skin. After about 30 minutes in the shower, my skin was turning pink from the heat of the water and I finished rinsing off and turned off the water.

Grabbing the fluffy white towel hanging next to the shower, I wrapped it around my body, wringing out my hair. I stepped onto the fluffy white bath mat and shivered as the cool air bit at my skin. I grabbed a robe hanging in the bathroom and slipped that on in place of the towel as I made my way over the vanity to figure out my makeup.

I clipped my wet hair back and pulled out the drawers of the vanity to examine the makeup choices. Nothing in this room had been skimped on and that included the makeup. There was drawers and drawers filled with the best products available.

I started to apply the makeup, deciding on a black smokey eyeshadow with a silver shimmer to complement the intricate design of the mask. Carefully, I applied the shades, blending them together until my eyes seemed to shimmer with the same enchanting allure as the mask itself. The silver and black hues melded together, creating an almost hypnotic effect, mirroring the tangled vines of the mask.

I contemplated what to do with my hair, fingering the wispy tendrils of half dried hair. As I debated whether to curl or straighten my hair, my mind wandered, my thoughts drifting to Grayson's fingers tangled in the messy tendrils of my hair as he tenderly kissed down my neck. I sighed, remembering the warmth of his lips against mine, the softness of his touch as his fingers traced patterns on my naked skin. The memory was vivid, pulling me back into a whirlwind of emotions that threatened to distract me from my mission. Grayson had a way of making me feel cherished, even in the most perilous of situations. Even when I was completely pissed at him, like I was right now. Screw him, he lied to me.