Chapter 10

Kaylee's POV

I stirred awake, rubbing my eyes as I blinked away the fog. My surroundings slowly came into focus, and I blinked, memories of the previous night flooding back. My eyes traveled down to the torn bits of lace barely hanging onto my body by threads, serving as a reminder of the passion of the night. My cheeks flushed with a mix of embarrassment and desire as I stood from the bed and picked up the silk robe from the floor. I pulled the robe around me, clutching it tightly to preserve some semblance of modesty. I scanned the room for Grayson and noted his absence.

The room was spacious, with elegant, simple decor. I looked around, feeling a sense of vulnerability that was overpowered by my curiosity. I couldn't believe what had happened with Grayson. I had never done anything like that before. I had been kissed many times, but never let it go any further than that. For some reason, with Grayson, it just felt right. He left me with a swirl of emotions that I struggled to untangle.

I walked up to the door, pushing down on the handle, expecting to feel the resistance of the lock. Surprisingly, the handle pushed down with ease and the door opened quietly.

My eyes widened with surprise, my heart beat increasing and a surge of hope shot through me.

With my robe wrapped tightly around me, I pushed open the door and stepped into the hallway, my eyes darting around, trying to register anyone around. The dark hallways were empty as the house slept. I hesitated for a moment, my thoughts and curiosity overwhelming me. I shook my head to clear it. This could be my only chance to escape and I had to take it.

My bare feet padded softly against the cool marble floor as I navigated the unfamiliar mansion.

Every hallway seemed to lead to another, and I felt like I was walking through a labyrinth. The mansion was sprawling, with twists and turns that left me feeling disoriented. I moved with caution, keeping an eye out for any signs of movement or activity.

I climbed down the familiar staircase that I had descended earlier and I felt hope that I had to be close to an exit.

Eventually, I found myself in the grand dining room from earlier, its elegance taking my breath away. The chandelier above glittered, casting a soft glow over the room. My heart raced as I glanced around, my mind still trying to piece together the reality of my situation.

I moved further into the mansion, searching for an exit. Coming upon the dark kitchen, I hesitated at the threshold. I was greeted with large glass doors, that seemed to lead outside. With cautious determination, I pushed one of the doors open, the cool breeze kissing my bare skin. The hair on my arms prickled at the sudden coldness.

Stepping out onto a stone patio, I looked out onto a vast backyard. A meticulously groomed garden stretched out before me, its beauty in stark contrast to the tension that gripped me. My gaze drifted further, and I noticed the dense forest that bordered the property in a never ending sea of green.

Desperation fueled my steps as I walked through the garden, my eyes scanning the horizon for any signs of freedom. As minutes turned into what felt like hours, a sense of defeat began to settle over me. The mansion seemed impenetrable, and the vastness of the property felt like a cage.

My shoulders slumped, and I leaned against a marble statue, my emotions swirling like a tempest. I was trapped in a situation I didn't understand, and the weight of it all threatened to suffocate me. I put my head in my hands, consumed with my feelings.

"What are you doing here?" A voice shattered the silence, and I jumped, startled. I turned towards the source of the sound as Grayson emerged from the shadows, his presence unexpected.

"I—I'm sorry I just left like that."

My heart raced as I took in his tousled hair and unbuttoned dress shirt, an air of mystery and confidence surrounding him. His eyebrows raised in confusion.

I sucked in a breath as I realized my mistake. I mistook him for Grayson, but then I realized he was someone else entirely. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment, and I stammered out an apology. "I—I'm sorry, I thought you were... someone else." I chewed on my bottom lip nervously, awaiting his response.

He arched an eyebrow, his lips curving into a smirk. "Really? And here I was, thinking I'm unmistakable."

I examined his face, similar to Grayson's, but different in undeniable ways. The dark locks of his tousled hair made his gray eyes pop. His face was unshaven with light scruff sharpening his jawline. My gaze shifted from his face to his partially exposed chest, my cheeks burning hotter as I took in his appearance. "I'm sorry," I said quickly, my voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't mean..."

He cut me off, chuckling softly, his gaze intense as it bore into mine. "No need to apologize. I'm Hunter, by the way."

Hunter. The name suited him, conjuring images of a predator lurking in the shadows. He was magnetic and had an air of mystery, and I found myself drawn to him despite my better judgment.

I managed a shaky smile. "Kaylee."

"Trying to make a great escape, Kaylee?" he asked, his tone light and teasing.

I shifted on my feet, my unease evident. "I... I was just exploring. I didn't realize..." I wasn't doing a very good job at proving my innocence or coming up with a solid excuse. I braced myself for the undeniable punishment that would be coming my way.

His smirk deepened. "Didn't realize you'd stumble upon me?"

Heat crept up my neck as I avoided his gaze, my heart racing for an entirely different reason now.

I watched Hunter as his gray eyes drifted lower, pausing for a moment. I glanced down to meet where he looked. The robe I had wrapped around myself shifted, and a patch of bare skin and red lace peeked out. Panicking, I adjusted the robe, attempting to cover myself.

Hunter's eyes followed the movement, his gaze lingering on where the lace had shown. A hunger flickered in his eyes, a desire that made my breath catch in my throat. I felt exposed and vulnerable under his devouring gaze.

His lips curved into a knowing smile, bringing his gaze back up to meet mine. "Quite the ensemble you have there, Kaylee."

My cheeks were aflame as I stammered, "I—I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to see that."

He shrugged casually, his eyes locked with mine. "No apologies necessary."

The thick tension between us was palpable, charging the air around us with an undistinguishable energy. I felt a magnetic pull towards him, a dangerous curiosity that both intrigued and frightened me.

Needing an escape from the intensity of the moment, I managed to find my voice. "I should go."

He nodded, his smirk never faltering. "Sure thing. But just remember, the mansion can be quite the maze. Wouldn't want you to get lost, Kaylee."

With that, I turned and practically fled back into the mansion. Retracing my way to the staircase, I was able to find my bedroom door and rushed inside to the still lit room. The door closed behind me with a soft click. My back pressed against it, and I slid down to the floor, my breathing uneven. I grasped my bare knees in front of me, resting my forehead against them. Thoughts whirled in my mind, the experience with Grayson and the encounter with Hunter both igniting a fire within me that I couldn't quite comprehend.

My heart pounded against my chest, a mixture of fear, curiosity, and desire coursing through my veins. The events of the past few hours had thrust me into a world of mystery, danger, and attraction that I wasn't prepared for. As I leaned against the closed door, the mansion's walls felt like they were closing in around me. The choices I made from this point on would determine my fate in ways I couldn't yet fathom.