Chapter 8~ You Owe Me

CÉLINE:

     My gaze follows him as he steps away to take a phone call, wishing I wouldn't, and doing it anyway. The giant of a man still standing in front of me looks down on me with a curious glint.

     "Need something?" I snap.

     He shakes his head still smirking, "Perhaps some of your audacious capacity?" Deeper. His voice is deeper than Marius', but every bit as heavily accented.

     "Hmm," I hum as I watch his eyes which haven't left my face since Marius stepped away. "Welp," A decidedly obvious exit remark, "I'll be going."

     As I turn away, his rumble of a voice stops me momentarily, "And what shall I tell Mr. Gray of your departure?"

     My head whips back around, "That I'm going to do whatever the hell I want and he can go home or anywhere else because I don't need his company. Unlike him, I enjoy my own company." I keep walking and hear the large man chuckle heartily.

     I faintly hear his voice and I'm not sure if he is simply thinking out loud or talking to me, "Tu ferais mieux de courir vite alors."
(You'd better run fast then.)

     The sharp sting of nervousness overtakes my mind and my stomach starts to feel upset. I don't give him the satisfaction of running but I do pick up the pace and take a path that juts off instead of going straight on.

     It's several minutes and a few turns later that I feel I've probably avoided them for the rest of the day and take the opportunity to stop at a bench on the path. It's tucked slightly off the main part of the path so not to get in the way of anyone else enjoying the walkway. I enjoy the cove of shade surrounding it. It's a heavy layer of greenery and vines over a thick older wooden trellis.

     I rest only a few seconds before I hear his voice. The family sixth sense kicks in and a shiver runs down my spine.

     "Hey there, princess."

     My head whips to the right and I see him leaning under the shady grove against a tree. Internally I gag at his choice of words but, of course, my face betrays me.

     "What's the matter, doll? I'm just saying 'hi'."

     He is of average height with sandy hair. His eyes are a dark color but I can't tell in this shade if they are brown or green.

     "And I'm just saying 'bye'." I try to keep my voice perky as I jump up and move to leave but he's faster.

     He isn't touching me yet but he stands directly in front of me, blocking my path. We're still off the main stretch and I suddenly wish I hadn't been stupid enough to walk this alone. This path doesn't have the best reputation, even if it is beautiful, and I got distracted by my own pride.

     "Leaving already? Meeting someone?" He cocks his head to the side in feigned curiosity. His voice is higher pitched-- it's how you might talk to a child.

     "Yup, they're waiting for me," I respond quickly trying to keep my cool but I swallow hard and feel my eyes sting as I hold back my tears. The burning in my throat growing increasingly worse with each second.

     He smiles a sickening sort of smile as he tilts his head in the other direction and looks at me. I size him up and know that he's definitely stronger than me but maybe I could be faster if I got past him.

     "You're a good liar," he says with an uptick of his chin, "nobody here is tryin' anything. Just thought you were pretty and might want to chill for a bit."