Chapter 12~ No Truer Goodbyes

CÉLINE:

     Why am I the way that I am? I literally knew at the beginning. I saw the red flags and ignored every single one of them. Technically, I got into this car willingly but the message was clear... I would be going either way. This isn't fun anymore. Was it ever actually fun or was I kidding myself? Ugh! Should I call the police? If they really have ties to French organized crime then would it even matter if I called the authorities?

     Now, I'm sitting with no small amount of fidgeting in the back of the car Andre is driving. It's not like the one I rode in before on the day I was attacked. The reminder sends a cold shiver down my entire body.

     Damn it! Tears start to fill my eyes and I become increasingly nervous. What have I become a part of? I'm not this stupid and yet, here I am, with no idea where I'm going. No one even knows where I am. Maybe I am an idiot.

     Closing my eyes, I try to take slow deep breaths. The best thing I can do for myself right now is stay calm and clear-headed. I am several slow breaths in when Andre breaks the silence.

     "You are safe, Céline. You can be sure of that."

     "No, I can't," I spit at him. So much for being calm. "You told me you would take me by force if I didn't come willingly. There is nothing safe about that!"

     "Did I say that or did you assume it?" I can hear the teasing in his voice but I don't give in, "Perhaps, you don't understand the circumstances, cher," he says more gently realizing I'm not going to respond to his first question.

     "Oh sorry, I forgot to get all the details upfront from my kidnapper. Please," the word is drawn out and I throw my arms around sarcastically, "explain."

     He lets out a rumbly chuckle and glances in the rearview mirror at my disdainful face, "You could be good for him if he let you be...and vice versa."

     "I don't know what that means, but I promise you that after this I will never speak to him again!"

     Andre huffs through his nose. He's clearly amused at my attempt at defiance. "You may be more right than you know." His words are so soft. I wonder if I heard them correctly.

     There's a twang of discomfort in my mind at his words. I don't know what he means but for some reason, that stupid curious side of me suddenly releases a thousand questions. My fear starts to ease as I go through various reasons I may never see Sir Grumps a Lot again and before I know it we're pulling into a parking space on the side of the road. My head moves sharply as I try to shake the rabbit-hole thinking away and blink as I stare out the window realizing where I am. The fear returns.

     "No," I say sharply but the edge of fear has crept back into my voice.

     "No, what?" He asks typing distractedly into his phone.

     "No to this," I gesture out the window.  "Tell him we aren't meeting here. Take me somewhere else...please." the last word is barely a whisper.

     He looks into the mirror at me again and I lower my head to avoid eye contact. "I'm sorry, Céline, bosses orders."

     Hot tears prick at my eyes and I put every piece of energy I have into trying to push them away, but these won't go so easily. My hands clench at my sides trembling violently.

     "Andre," my voice breaks, I'm no longer able to hold it back but still clear my throat to try again, "Please...ask him to meet somewhere else." I couldn't keep my voice from breaking again or the tear that escapes.