Chapter 28~ It All Happens

MARIUS:

We had all made it to the sitting room and everyone but me was resting on a lounge couch or chair. I have to flex my hand several times to get the feeling of being so close to her out of my mind. After this morning when we woke up in her room, I have barely been able to stop thinking about her. It was right. That feeling of her being nestled in my arms, the way the pressure of her leaning against my chest made me feel like I was the richest man on earth and it had nothing to do with money. Her hair smelled good like...
Pull yourself together, Gray, there's still work to do here.

I dare a glance over at Céline who is just turning to meet my eyes and I don't miss the slight blush she tries to hide from me while looking away quickly. She is stunning in that emerald gown, Mesrine was right about that. The green brings out her eyes and I want her to wear something that shows off that beautiful shape every single time that I see her. Then again, every time I see her she seems even more attractive than the time before so it's hard to tell what actually compliments her when it feels like everything does. Even when I saw her sitting in front of Mesrine when she needed rescuing. Her face was drawn, and dirty, her hair a wet mess, and her eyes hollow-- even so, I felt that rhythm my heart beats only for her. Fast and thundering with the sound of my own blood.

Shaking my hand out, which I now realize I've been clenching, I pour a few drinks which Remi takes around the room to each person. But I stand at the bar cart nearly groaning audibly at my inability to focus at a time like this.

"So," my voice comes out louder than I intended. At least I didn't give myself any more time to be distracted now that everyone's attention is fixed on me, "Shall we toast?" My steps are silent on the carpet as I make my way to stand behind the couch Quinn and Remi are sharing. Mesrine sits on a couch to my left, leaning back, one arm on the back of the couch and one ankle perched on the opposite leg-- the picture of relaxed. Céline sits in a solitary armchair to my far right, much to Mesrine's chagrin by the looks of it.

"What would we be toasting to?" Simone inquires from her shadowy stance in the corner.

"And does it have to do with your magic trick?" Céline adds.

"Ah, yes," I tip the glass to my lips and take a drink before releasing a deep breath. "I am not practiced in tricks so you'll have to let me know if it's been done right."

Some of them look between each other with hesitant smiles and drawn brows at my words.

"Get on with it then," Jacques jeers lifting his glass before drinking himself.

It really can't be helped, the sly smile that creeps up my face as I get a shiver of adrenaline. "Tonight I want to entertain you with a trick that involves slight of hand..."a dramatic pause, "When one opponent needs the upper hand, rather than making an obvious advance, they will perform a trick. They play the other person's hand instead of their own, sliding the win right out from under the unsuspecting challenger. " I'm holding my hands out, palms down, as I explain.

"I do, in fact, understand what a trick is," Céline's voice is low teasing purr, "I'm going to jump the gun and say you're doing it wrong by explaining how you did it first."

A few chuckles. Remi holds his fist over his smile to hide it, but I chuckle at her quip as well.

"Perhaps, mon ange, so I am not good at this part, but I promise that the trick was performed perfectly."

"Was?" Quinn's face is all wary suspicion now.

"Ouai, allume feu (fire-starter), was."