Chapter 2~ You'll Do Just Fine

Céline:

     My feet carried me swiftly though the halls and I made it to my class to see it actually wasn't that full yet, Go me! They were probably all talking in the halls with friends they spent the summer with or that they knew from the previous year or so. Part of me was jealous. I wasn't so much sad that I had spent most of my time with my aunt and her colleagues, but rather I really didn't have a peer group and really didn't seem to relate that well to other teens anymore.

     Making my way to the far corner of the classroom, I picked two seats up from the last chair. I didn't want to be in the last couple rows of weirdos and talking barbies but I didn't want to be in the first several rows of I-already-know-the-answer students either. So I sat there by the window and looked out into the garden. They added that last year, at least that's what the brochure they sent with my updated info packet for reenrollment said. It's a shaded garden outside of the library for those of us who actually enjoy fresh air away from the smell of adolescents. It must've only been a minute, but when I faced back to the classroom, it had nearly filled up. I saw only a couple of familiar faces and thought about saying hello but I really just wanted to get through the first few days of school before trying to make any friends- old or new. I guess I hadn't realized how nervous I was until I couldn't stop bouncing my leg and biting my nails. Internally I groan, pull your shit together, C, it's not going to be like the last time you were in this high school.

     "What is up, my people?" A very sudden, very loud female voice makes me jerk my head up to see a rusty red-haired girl sauntering in with a beige backpack purse slung over her shoulder. Her hunter green cold-shoulder tee hung off the other side. She wore a cute white mini-skirt that I would never be brave enough to wear, but she was rocking it. I watched as she made her way through the full desks, commenting on the other students, "Eww, already with the greasy-gelled look?" she said cringing. "Definitely going to be the couple that everyone gets irritated with for PDA," She points with a judgy finger and then up downs a grunge style student, "Forget to pick your clothes out last night?" Her hand waves in front of her face as if she smelled something putrid, "Might want to skip the onions in your eggs tomorrow, doll," and so on she went, making the most enemies I've ever seen someone make in the first few seconds of the school year. I had to pull my lips between my teeth to keep from laughing out loud at the faces people made at her audacity. She made it next to me and stared down with enchanting hazel eyes, pursing her lips out as far as she could while her eyes narrowed.

     "I didn't eat onions for breakfast, I showered, I don't wear gel, I don't have a boyfriend, and my biggest flaw is that I will drink coffee on the hottest day of the year that Nawlins has to offer," I said smirking up at her.

     Her face slowly broke out of her hard gaze into a gorgeous smile, "Hey, babe, the name's Quinn and you'll do just fine."

     She sat down next to me, lazily sliding her bag off her shoulder as she leaned back in her seat.

     "I'm Céline," I told her, "the insults?" I flit my eyes around and back to her.

     She shrugs, "I prefer to pick my friends."

     "Oh, is that what's happening here?" I tease waving a finger between her and the glaring classroom. "Looked more like you were picking your enemies."

     "And..." She looks a bit guilty now, but she doesn't lose her smile as she glances down, "I missed my coffee this morning."

     "Horrifying way to start the school year," I tease again quickly flicking my brows up.

     The teacher walks in and starts talking, but I do a quick lean toward Quinn and quietly ask if she wants to go get coffee on break. She gives me a short upward nod to let me know that she's in.