Chapter 15~ Disastrous Dealings

(Needs editing)

MARIUS:

I've been working non stop preparing to meet Mesrine in persosn. You can't be too careful with these things. Going over the location, security detail, possible outcomes, etc. It's been a gruelling day of details.

Even so, all day, all I can think of...is her. She turned 18 today...well, yesterday now, I suppose, as it's after midnight. Originally, I had plans to send her flowers and French perfume on her birthday, but things escalated and I ended up having to get the good-bye over with.

I expected to be fine. Truly thought I could say good-bye and walk away, but instead, I'm living in constant emotional taunting because of this woman. She was now invading my thoughts at all hours making me furious. I could still see the fear in her eyes when she arrived at the path, the defiance everytime she scolded me, the nervous moments...like just before we kissed. I have kissed girlss before, but I haven't been caught up on a kiss like that. It was the safest feeling I've ever experienced. She was sweet and soft. Her kiss was timid, but wanting. I liked that. She wanted me too, but why? Why do I even want her? What does she have that captivates me so damn much?

My door slams open and a very cross looking mother strides in my direction.

"Marius Gray, tell me why I am being held captive by my own son in my own home."

I interlace my fingers and lean back in my red-leather chair, "Mother, it is for your own safety."

"You're not 21 yet and you will not tell me what I can and cannot do before you are the sole King of the Grey Empire, and even then there will be limits. Am I being perfectly clear?" She slams her hands on the desk and leans towards me, narrowing her eyes. A fierce woman, to be sure.

I am, however, unmoved by her outburst other than slight amusement at how the tables have turned, "Mesrine has called for your life, mother, you aren't going anywhere."

Her eyes soften slightly and she looks confused, "When did this happen?"

I turn my chair a bit and take the delivered note off of the window sill handing it over into her slender fingers, "Yesterday."

She reads the poem and flits her eyes above it to look at me curiously before reading it again and finally setting it slowly on the desk. Her arms are now crossed in front of her, "And what, Marius," she begins with a raised brow looking down at the note, "made you so sure that this note referred to me?"

"Isn't it obvious?" I reply with a bored wave of my hand and she scoffs. "I'll take that as a no."

"Don't be stupid, boy!" She hisses and I glare at her while I jump up to stand tall and rigid.

"What did you say to me?"

"You heard me!" she says with that venom again, "You have been acting like a child since that girl came into your life. Pretending you are indifferent. Risking yourself and her to try and prove something to yourself or perhaps to your father. Is your pride worth risking her life?"

That sets something off in me and I let loose, "Don't you dare talk to me like that! She isn't in any danger! She is just a woman like any other. Who are you to speak to me like you know what I feel or don't feel? My feelings are my own and for my own purposes. She has no bearings on them any more than you. It's not like Mesrine even knows I care for her!" I stand there, breathing heavily and take in my mother's humorless smirk realizing what I've just done and admitted.

"You see?" she whispers, "So much pride...festering...causing arrogance and carelessness, yet even you admit to how you feel." She presses a pointed finger through the air at me.