CHAPTER 8:

Halloween was approaching. Students were arguing excitedly with one another about the impending event during breakfast. Ivy sat fidgeting with the sleeve of her jumper, gazing at the entrance of the great hall in search of a certain dishevelled, dark-haired person. She sat up abruptly when she caught sight of who she was waiting for.

Fleamont walked into the great hall, conversing with Septimus as they both made their way to their designated seats. Ivy noticed that Fleamont's appearance hadn't looked in any way like Rosiers had when he was discharged from the infirmary. She let out a sigh of relief. Thank Merlin.

Ivy cleared her throat to get their attention once they were seated.

"Uh...Fleamont! I see you're well?" She asked joyfully.

Fleamont glanced at Septimus, who responded with a shrug. He turned back to face Ivy and gave a slow nod.

Ivy let go of her jumper and cleared her throat once more. She leaned forward a little and folded her hands in front of her. "Listen Fleamont I...I wanted to apologise for headbutting you yesterday." She cast a downward glance. "I-i didn't know it was you! If I knew I-..."

"It's alright, Ivy." Fleamont remarked, with a comforting smile. "You didn't mean it at all; I know that. You know...adrenaline and all? It happens during quidditch all the time, so don't worry!"

Ivy raised her head and returned the smile. Septimus cleared his throat.

"Well...now that's over." Clapping his hands together, he said, "Let's eat!"

They all laughed and began helping themselves to breakfast. After a short while, Agnes showed up, followed by Eleanor and Beatrice.

"Ah! Fleamont!" Agnes exclaimed. "You look far better than what I anticipated."

"It's good to see you too, my darling Agnes." Fleamont rolled his eyes and spoke in a contemptuous manner.

Agnes gave a sweet smile in return and turned to help herself to some toast.

Beatrice laughed, which gained everyone's attention as they stared at her in confusion. Observing the perplexity, she cleared her throat and went on to describe the amusing thing that she thought was funny.

"It's funny that Fleamont is discharged, but there's no sign of the head girl." She said, grinning towards Ivy.

Rolling her eyes, Ivy took a bite from her pancake, honey slithering down her throat as she swallowed.

"She has been discharged." Eleanor said softly.

"Oh?!" Beatrice remarked.

"Yes." Eleanor replied, nodding her head frantically. "Pomline had informed me that she is still in the dorms and will be attending lessons."

"Unfortunately." Agnes mumbled as she took a sip from her goblet.

"I agree, but it's also good." stated Beatrice.

Agnes gave her a bewildered look and opened her mouth to retort before Beatrice interrupted. "Wait, listen to me! I heard ("you mean eavesdropped.") from a group of Ravenclaws that Melissa's father was furious when he heard what had happened and that he intended to visit the school!"

"Why?" Septimus inquired.

Before Beatrice could reply, Agnes rolled her eyes and spoke caustically.

"Well, let's see." She said, while placing a finger on her chin and displaying a focused expression. "His darling daughter, who happens to be a Selwyn , is beaten black and blue by none other than..." she gasped. "A muggleborn!"