Chapter 12

School was worse than the Vinci house. I have Scott and Oliver talking to me in every class. Oliver was the other annoying boy.

I had every class with one of the people from their mob. They were still using the fort as a hangout place. They were terrified and amazed by my painting.

I guess when you paint an entire building multiple times with stuff that will probably make your guardian put you in therapy you scare people.

It wasn't that scary. Then they started to name them off. I painted a lot of people being tortured, beaten, or commiting suicide. I did not realize that, and now they thought I was suicidal.

I mean, I was, but that didn't mean they should know. How should I know that normal people draw flowers and stuff like that?

Since it was only the second day they tried to get me to do the assignments. They would soon learn that I didn't do them. In my old school I used the paper as a sketchbook. Especially the packets. Those were the best.

The bell rings for the second time today, so I make my way to the roof. Or I try to but then Scott's hoard of people makes me go to the lunch room.

I follow them but can't see right because of all the lights in the room. I rub my eyes and manage to follow them. I sit down next to them and cover my eyes.

What was with the lights today? First Ezra, then the school.

"Hey, are you alright?" One of the members of the hoard asked. This one's name was Juliana. I nod. They didn't know my name yet. They had asked, but I didn't tell them.

Nile comes over. That was another weird name. I think it was a nickname though. "I see you found friends" he chuckles putting his hands on my shoulders.

I elbow him in the gut. He bends over gasping in pain. I stand up and kick him to the ground and walk out. I didn't care if he was my legal guardians' son or my friend. I didn't like people touching me.

Eyes and Ears were family. The only family I had. That was why they were allowed to touch me, and even they knew not to do it too much. I make my way to the roof and try to stop the panic attack.

Scott follows me of course. "You know that no one has like, ever stood up to the Vicini brothers before. Right? Why does he even know you?"

I shrug because he doesn't know sign language and I was not going to communicate with him anymore than I have to. He sighs and sits next to me.

"What happened to you? I know for a fact that you are not normal. Your painting and drawings are plenty proof of that. But you're also cold and... I don't know but you don't act normal. Nothing about you seems normal."

I shrug. His problem. He sighs again and shakes his head. "Why do you do that?" He says at last. I turn to him now.

"Why do you tug on your hair. You've done it 5 times since I came up here and you did it dozens of times in class."

Well there goes trying to be unnoticed. I shrug again. But my hand goes to tug on my hair again and I have to physically think about stopping it.

Scott opens his mouth but closes it when the bell rings. I walk past him into the halls and go to class. I had to deal with Jasper. Juliana and Jasper. Scott and Oliver. They were the group using my fort as a hideout.

I wanted to hate them, but the more I was with them, the more I liked them. I liked Scott the most. He was the most logical.

Oliver just did whatever he felt like doing and had absolutely no plan. He has been expelled twice and he had detention almost every day.