'Then please do. Because I love you.' I say, her opening her eyes.

'Are you drunk?' She says back, looking up at me from my shoulder.

'Why do I have to be drunk to tell my girlfriend that I love her?' I reply, Y/n blinking slowly even though I feel her gaze still on me.

'....' Y/n turns her head away, looking ahead at the night city view. I try not to feel disappointed at her for not returning the words, trying not to pressure her to fit my standard of showing affection.

'I think I kept my feeling away for so long. It's difficult to say it out loud.' She says after a pause, 'For too long, I couldn't look back on my feelings even when that's my job to help others do it. I only realised that when I met you and the others again. That I was dried out from the inside. But now I'm trying my best to change that.'

'I can wait. You don't need to pressure yourself.' I say, pulling her closer to me.

'But I want you to hear it too. So, I love you.' Y/n says, and I turn to look down at her, a teardrop rolling down her cheek as she closes her eyes.

'...' I stare at her for a few seconds, unsure how to comfort her.

'It's going to be okay.' I say, pulling her into my arms.

Y/n's pov
You feel the years old knot melt away, feeling safe and secure for the first time in years. With others, you easily told them that facing their real emotions was difficult, but you could now feel exactly how hard it is to say it out loud.

'Thank you for telling me .' Shi Jin whispers, patting your back slowly, your tears smearing onto his pyjama shirt.

You pull away after a few minutes, the corner of your lips lifting upwards even when you feel the heat in your eyes. Shi Jin smiles back, his warm hands wiping the tears off of your face.

'Now I don't want tears on your beautiful face.' Shi Jin says, gently taking away the last remains of the tear stains. You keep staring at him, his eyes firmly looking into yours, your reflection almost engraved in his eyes.

Closing your eyes, you feel his lips on yours. Tender and careful, as if he's afraid that you would disappear again.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

[past, 23rd summer]
Extract from Y/n's psychiatry essay

'How are you?'

We say those three words to each other on a daily basis. Too often, too simple to the point that it lost meaning.

And so you reply, I'm fine thank you.

Then nobody questions, and moves about their day. But on the inside, are you really okay?

If you could ask someone with a tiny extra drop of attention, to that someone, you may be her lifesaver.

So,
How are you?

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Shi Jin's pov
'Captain? Captain! Are you listening, sir?' I snap out of my trance, remembering the last evening. Specifically, the part where I kissed Y/n, properly this time.

'What are you thinking about? Idols are coming to our base! That's the most important mission for today - keep them safe while performing!' Sergeant Choi says, the others exclaiming in excitement.

'I don't need any idols. My girlfriend is the most perfect woman already.' I start, putting my feet on the desk.

'Why do you look extra happy today? I don't like it.' Daeyoung says to me with his usual blank expression, me only winking away his odd way of showing friendly affection.

'Did you and  Dr. L/n do something extra nice yesterday?' Master Sergeant Gong says, raising his eyebrows.

'Master Sergeant Gong Ho Chul' I say, the others gulping looking between the two of us.

'Ha-sa! Gong Ho Chul!'

'Don't cross the line or I make you do 100 laps around the field, got it?' I say, tossing the stack of reports onto my desk, Sergeant Gong frozen in his salute position.

'Yes, sir!' He says, stiffly lowering his arm.

'But you're right. I kissed her.' I say, me motioning at them to cheer louder.

Author's note:
Shi Jin- i wuvvv u
Yn- i wuv u too

Author: 👁️👄👁️
Author: 🤡

Plz remember to vote, leave a comment i you like to restore my sanity after writing this chapter 😂