Chapter Twelve

I couldn't breathe, as if I was shutting down. My brain wasn't working. I couldn't process what had just happened. Was he serious? Why would he tell me like that? This had to be a joke.

I glanced to Lola who was mouthing 'I am so sorry'. She could've been saying it. I wasn't so sure, for all I could hear in my mind at that moment was static. She looked really guilty though; her eyes were tearing up, and she was the first to excuse herself from the table.

It was true. It had to be, but why? Why would he do that? Why would he say it like that? He didn't care...just why? It couldn't be true.

"(Y/N) ...do you want to go somewhere and talk?" Wendy gently asked.

I looked up to see Wendy, Nicole, and Red giving me worried looks.

"...wh-what just happened?" I managed to ask.

"Well...um, Craig- he told you what happened," Nicole said, not really sure how to approach the situation.

"Is it true?" I asked, my voice just above a whisper.

"Yeah..." Wendy answered, her voice no louder than mine.

"Oh...okay," I mumbled, taking a hard swallow.

"Are you...okay?" Red hesitated to ask.

I didn't really acknowledge her question. I couldn't. I couldn't pay attention to any of this...I just couldn't.

"We should get to class," I said, with more confidence than I could muster.

"We don't have to," Wendy offered.

"No, no," I calmly said. "If anyone cares about their grades, it's you Wendy. We should go...I'm okay."

I tried to give a smile, but I knew it wasn't convincing.

I'm not okay. How could this happen?