Personal Soundtracks

Recently, I've been thinking about soundtracks. If everyone had their own musical background that followed them around, proclaiming their mood and personality, what would yours sound like? Would it be the songs that you like to listen to, or something different that you may or may not have discovered yet?

And, let's just say your soundtrack was Today's Greatest Hits. Would you be seen as a really fun person, great to hang out with; or as a boring, generic person with no uniqueness or personality? Because wouldn't you be the embodiment of average? And the question of whether society would embrace an average person or reject them for their lack of creativity when building themselves remains unanswered because it really hasn't happened yet. The only average people are the ones that you don't really know yet.

I would imagine that my kind of soundtrack would be Irish music. Because I feel like that fits my personality pretty well. No, I don't listen to it all the time, but it's definitely on my playlists.

Light jigs when I'm feeling upbeat, slow funeral hymns when I'm sleeping. Something in between for the other things. Yes, I think that Irish music would do nicely. 

Would people talk less if everyone had personal soundtracks? Because you would have to talk over all the noise. Would people just stop and listen? Would small talk disappear to be replaced by silence of talking and playing of melodies. 

Would some people's music be louder than other? The outgoings, bold ones, their music would be on high volume. Shy ones would be quiet. I think that I would rather be a quiet one. Not just for myself (for the health of my own ears), but also for the benefit of everyone who kept my company. I wonder if being quiet would become better in the eyes of society if everyone's personalities were blasted for everyone else to hear.

How would society change if you could know a person that easily? If it was as easy as listening to know what someone was feeling.

Social Science would be changed. Us, us beautiful, learning humans, would study the life out of it. Therapy sessions would be a lot less talking-about-your-feelings and more evaluating-your-soundtrack, because that would be seen as more honest.

I think the world would be simpler, in a way, because it would be harder to lie (successfully). 

Though, there would be new problems. Tone-deafness would be the new socially-challenged. Concentration problems would skyrocket. 

I guess it would just be better to keep things the ways that they are. Like time travelers contemplating changing the past, you never know what kind of terrible, far-reaching consequences there could be.  

We keep our world. This beautiful, unique, messed up, developing, zoetic, passionate world full of people learning, loving and slowly working towards an end goal that — like bickering children — no one can seem to agree on. This is our world, and I love it so very dearly.