XI- disconnected

(Y/n)'s weekend had gone by in the blink of an eye, spent in bed and in the confines of her own mind. It had started well, with her outing with Stella that had offered a nice change of pace from her day to day life.

Everything had gone downhill when (Y/n)'s eyes had laid upon her worst nightmare though. And although nothing served to confirm that the man she had seen had indeed been Simon, the effects on her mental health had been all the same.

She had spent the rest of her weekend trapped in her room, scared that she might catch another sight of him if she was to leave the safety of her bedroom, or worse yet, that he would catch sight of her.

Not that she could escape Simon this easily though, for even when alone in her room he still came to haunt her. His burning gaze, the ghost of his touch wandering in places she didn't want it, the rich velvet of his voice that whispered all kinds of things she'd rather forget forever. And the taste of his sour breath on her lips.

But more importantly, the shame that stuck to her like glue, the disgust and self loathing for something she hadn't been responsible for.

She knew this. She knew this hadn't been her fault. But this piece of knowledge could never seem to keep her from blaming herself, from wishing to tear her skin at the seams and crawl out of it.

If she had had the possibility, she probably would have stayed in bed for the rest of her life, shielded from the outside world.

But alas she couldn't, and in spite of her burning desire to flee her responsibilities, (Y/n) still had to attend ballet classes and rehearsals with Adam. So in spite of her lack of sleep over the previous nights and her very unstable mental state, she still carried herself out of her bed and made her way to the studio.

"Hi." Aaron greeted her, and if she hadn't been so tired and caught up in her own head, she would have probably detected the hints of a smile pulling at the corners of his lips.

A warm facial expression in Aaron's vocabulary, that quickly soured when (Y/n) only replied with a tired wave of her hand and a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Of course, Aaron didn't know much about (Y/n), but it didn't take a genius to see that something was obviously wrong with her. She looked dule, pale and the bags under her eyes honestly gave Aaron a heart attack.

Still, he was surprised to find that even when looking and behaving like a walking corpse, he still found (Y/n) beautiful.

And usually Aaron would have berated himself for thinking such things, would have tried to reason with himself and would have probably humoured himself even. But this time around he simply couldn't, not when his thoughts were entirely consumed by concern for (Y/n).

Before he could catch onto his own actions, his feet carried him over to the girl, a frown etched between his brows as he eyed her cautiously.

She didn't notice him. Both because of the music in her ears and her disconnection from the world around her. Until he tugged on the cable of her earphones and stood right in front of her with a scowl.

"What the-"

"Do you have any idea of how bad you look, right now?" He said, internally wincing at the sharp edge of his tone and the crudeness of his words. Why did it always end up like this? Why could he never say anything nice to her?

This time around, Aaron didn't even care to analyse why he cared so much about being on (Y/n)'s good side, or being nice to her.

(Y/n)'s eyes opened wide, a humourless chuckle falling from her lips. She took her earphones from his hands.