I- daddy's girl

"There we go!" Daliah grunted, hoisting her daughter's suitcase out of the car's trunk. She turned to her daughter, a smile on her painted lips, but no amount of cheerfulness could hide her underlying sadness from (Y/n)'s eyes.

It was yet another goodbye. And although the mother and daughter had grown accustomed to these over the years Daliah's eyes still trembled with unshed tears as she embraced her daughter and squeezed her in her arms, committing her scent and warmth to memory.

"You'll be fine, right?" She asked, wiping the moisture from her eyes, "You've never been so far from home. You know if you want we can still try to get you a place at Dorothea Ballet Aca-"

"I'll be fine, mom." (Y/n) collected her mother's hands in hers, offering her a reassuring smile that she hoped reached her eyes. She had no right to back down now, even if bitterness coated the back of her throat. She had no right to turn her back on this opportunity and leave. As unstable as she might be.

She couldn't return home anyways, and she wouldn't.

"You don't have to worry about me. I'll call you each and every night if you want. I'm fine." She reassured, without knowing whether these last words were for her mother or to soothe her own aching heart.

A few years ago she would have dreamed for her father to be the one to accompany her through this new step towards her dreams. Their dreams. Now she couldn't imagine him anywhere near her and couldn't imagine anyone other than her mother being present for her in such a crucial moment.

She was going to become a Prima Ballerina. A dancer to be recognised and praised throughout the world. And she was going to do this alone, without the mentor whom she had always seen as a model. Without her father.

This stung. But somehow not as much as she had thought it would.

"Okay. I'm sorry, it's always like this..." Daliah said, a sad smile on her lips as she gazed at her daughter and tucked a lock of her hair behind (Y/n)'s ear. "To me you're still my little baby girl. Even after all these years. And even after so many goodbyes... But you should go now, the longer this draws on the harder it is to let go."

(Y/n) mustered a gentle smile, grabbing a hold of her luggage.

"Goodbye, mom. I'll call you soon."

Daliah waved to her daughter and watched as she made her way inside the building, only when her daughter was out of sight did she climb in the car and turn it on, the roar of the engine followed by the screeching of its tires.

(Y/n)'s eyes scanned over the lobby, excitement bubbling in her chest. A spiralling staircase that wrapped around the elevator column like a snake, wooden stairs, white and black tiles. And most importantly an out of service elevator. Not that this would be enough to turn her mood sour.

Living in a big city, she had always been lucky enough to have ballet schools near home, if not at home back when her father used to be her coach. These years were far behind her now, and although she could have pursued her studies back home she desperately ached to flee and find herself elsewhere.

And Bellemont Ballet Academy had been a nice opportunity.

(Y/n) laboriously carried her suitcase up the flight of stairs to the second floor, finally heaving a sigh of relief once in front of the door to her new flat.

She wondered if her flatmates had arrived yet, or if it would be just her. Honestly she could use the company right now, her mother's quivering gaze still fresh in her mind and rubbing salt in too many wounds.

She also wondered what to expect upon entering. Considering the very low rent she knew she couldn't possibly expect anything grandiose. Still having your own flat off campus had its perks she supposed, even more so when the dormitories' rent was twice her new home's. And not exactly something her mother could afford.