105. I Was Just Trying To Protect Her

Start from the beginning

"She did turn me down once." Mateo pointed out.

Adam rolled his eyes. "Obviously she is going to turn you down if you propose to marry her just to make her a family member so that they don't target her."

"I was just trying to protect her."

"When you yourself know that the girl does not need any protecting."

Mateo let out a sigh.

It was true.

But it was also true that he was irrevocably in love with her, and obviously he would want her safe and sound when he was so much in love with her.

He did not think that it was a sin.

.

.

.

Jacqueline narrowed her eyes when she turned around after getting her coffee only to see her best friend's bodyguard, Victor the incompetent as she liked to call him, sitting on one of the stools that River loved sitting and watching the street below from.

She was there. And she knew that this time, it was not in Victor's power to protect her. He was not superman. But Jacqueline was human, and she needed someone to blame and Victor just happened to be the one.

What could she do?

River was a mother. Her children were only five years old and their father lived a risky life. Jacqueline could not envision anything bad happening to River because it would affect the children even more. Jacqueline was not the legal guardian of the children anymore, but she was still their aunt and she was also like a sister to River. She was scared for them.

She took a deep breath and was ready to present him with another sermon. But before she could take a step forward, she was interrupted by someone.

"Meyers!"

Jacqueline furrowed her brows as she turned to watch Sebastian make his way towards her.

Victor, too, turned around and looked between Sebastian and Jacqueline.

"Shane, what are you doing here?" She asked.

"Um... My best friend is admitted here, so duh, I am here." Sebastian gave her a flat look. Did she really think that he was going to stay away for long? He had listened to Adam and kept clear of the place for a day or two, but that was it. He needed to be with the friend who was like a sibling to him. He had been around for about thirty years of her life and he planned to be around for the rest.

"You coming up with me Vic?" Sebastian asked Victor who nodded, discarding his coffee cup.

Jacqueline narrowed her eyes. She was not able to give him a piece of her mind because of her best friend's very bad timing.

But it was okay, she will have plenty of opportunities to do it, right?

"I am having my break as well." She said. "I will come up with you guys."

.

.

.

"What's taking them so long?" Alessia was pacing around the room.

"Did they go for ice cream without us?" Kiara looked up from her iPad. She was starting to be interested in mild shooting games. River didn't need to guess which Aunt she got it from.

"Nah, they know they can't choose flavors to save their lives. They need us." River commented.

She had grown so bored that she had asked Lucas to lend her his coloring book so that she could have some fun with it for some time.

"Mom, you are coloring out of the line." Lucas sighed for the hundredth time. Of course, River knew to color within the lines. She had hands that she could hold at one position for hours. Perks of being a surgeon - she had hands so steady that they could be confused for figurines.

But her son was so freaking adorable when he was annoyed or mad so the bored woman couldn't help but mess with him. It was the most endearing thing in the world to be scolded by him. She knew that Kiara and Lucas were too young, and she was not that old yet either, but she could just imagine how it would be when she grew old and they grew up. She hoped Kiara stayed the same - sweet and blunt while Lucas her angry little man.

Her smile grew wider when she found Mateo in her imagination - as her husband. This was the same career oriented surgeon who swore off any relationship in her life. She didn't want kids either.

Now look at her, she wouldn't give up her life for the world and it was funny how like some cliché story, she had ended up in a relationship with her baby daddy, the same cocky ass who had made her heart skip a beat when they met last year and have made her heart skip multiple beats after their reunion. God, he was not good for her heart. But why the hell was he so perfect for her then?

She had a feeling that everything was going to be okay now. Everything was finally going to be okay.

"Missed me!" Sebastian exclaimed and jumped back immediately with his hands up in the air when Alessia pointed her gun at him.

Lucas and Kiara burst out laughing, Kiara chucking her iPad on the couch before standing up and jumping up and down, clapping.

"Zia got you, Uncle Seb!" Lucas giggled.

River smiled, looking between her son and daughter. This certainly was an upgrade from two months ago when they were crying their eyes out after Mateo trained a gun at her head. Maybe they thought it was a toy guy. Maybe they didn't. At this point, it didn't really matter to River as long as her kids weren't traumatized.

.

.

.

________________________________