72. I Wish To Speak With You

Start from the beginning

"River, I wish to speak with you." Alessio said and the maid took it as his cue to leave.

"Can I go check on the kids before that?" She asked him and he nodded.

.

.

.

."I am sorry Ki, Mommy called me a baby and I forgot you were hurt." Lucas pouted as River placed the bowl of berries in between them.

"It's okay darling." She pressed a kiss to the side of his head. "You did better than your big man-child of a Papa." She rolled her eyes when Mateo narrowed his eyes at her as she said it.

"Are you two going to fight again?" Kiara crossed her arms and gave an angry pout.

"Your Mommy started it!" Mateo pointed at River while she just gave him a 'Are you serious?' look.

"What did she do now?" Lilith asked as she wheeled in, followed by Susan and Alessia.

"It's very bad this time." Alessia said, nodding to herself.

River gave her a look. "It would really help if one of you said what I did wrong."

"Yeah Zia, why don't any of you say what Mommy did wrong?" Lucas asked.

(Zia – Aunt)

"You know what? You come with me!" River took hold of Mateo's hand and walked out, dragging him out with her.

Mateo walked behind her until they reached the walk to the beach and he stopped when they did, forcing her to stop too as well.

River turned to him. "What now, Mateo?" She asked, super pissed at his immaturity.

"What?" He asked stubbornly.

"What's going on? And whatever it is, why are you making such a deal about it?" She asked. "The kids are under the impression that all we ever do is fight and that's not good for them."

"Then why do you create such circumstances where we have to constantly fight?"

"When did I create such circumstances? You are so full of bull crap!"

"You girl, how dare you talk to my grandson like that!"

Both of them looked at each other dumbfounded and then at the woman who was coming back from a walk or something.

'Okay, maybe we should have argued in the bedroom.'

You think?

"It's nothing Nonna, you don't have to worry." Mateo said, his voice clipped.

"Worry? No no no my child, I am not worried. I am disappointed that a Capo like yourself is letting some puny American talk to you like this! Your grandfather would have put a bullet through her head if he had seen this."

River rolled her eyes. What made this woman think that she was going to wait around and let some 'puny Italian' put a bullet through her head?

"I don't think he or anyone will be able to do that without getting hurt, Nonna." Mateo said in a dangerously low voice, looking her in the eyes.

"Are you saying that you would have stopped him if he was here?" She looked genuinely surprised. What? Never saw anyone stand up for themselves or someone else before?

"Of course I would have. She is infuriating and pig-headed-" He looked down at River and said pointedly. "But she is the mother of my children AND the love of my life."

Then it clicked. Oh, so this is what it was about.

A small smile formed on River's face, one which reduced the frown on his face by a quarter.

He looked back up at his grandmother. "Not that she would need my help. She is fully capable of defending herself."

"PAPA!! MOMMY!!!" River turned around to see the twins run towards them.

She sighed and narrowed her eyes at Kiara who just flashed her mother a grin saying, "I am fine Mommy!!"

Mateo bent down and picked both of the pickles up and turned to Abrianna.

"You haven't really met your great grandchildren yet." He walked towards the silent woman. "This is Lucas and this Kiara. Lucas is four minutes older."

"Hello!" Lucas waved with both hands while Kiara grinned.

"And babies, this is Abrianna Costello, your GN." He said.

River looked at him weirdly.

"GN?" Abrianna and she asked him in unison.

"Great Nonna."

.

.

.

___________________