60. Your Bruised Knuckles Say Otherwise

Start from the beginning

River turned to Jacqueline and cocked her head. She nodded laughing and guided her to the room she was staying in.

"So, what did I miss?" River asked as she plopped down on the bed, curling up in the fluffy heaven.

"First off." She said, pointing up her index finger. "Guess who called me last week?"

River scrunched up her face. "Who?"

"Cole Harris." She said, chuckling as she sat down on the bed, crossing her legs and grabbing a pillow to hug.

It reminded her of their old college days when they used to sit on the bed and gossip all night; except the most stressful thing back in the days were uni exams.

Yeah, we have life threatening stress at the back of our minds these days.

'Shut up!'

"Who?" River asked again. Jacqueline gave her a bewildered look then rolled her eyes.

"My ex? My first everything? The guy I broke up with around the time the twins were born?" She listed out.

"The imbecile who brought a stripper to my baby shower?" River asked, hand on my mouth as she remembered the idiot. How could she forget him?

"Who would even forget someone like that?" Jacqueline gave her a look.

"Oh god." River laughed. "I just remembered about the videos I made of the kids from the time I found out I was pregnant. Mateo is gonna be very pissed when he sees the Baby Shower videos."

"Uh oh." She laughed along. "Listen, is he really a cold-hearted scary dude? Coz I see none of that. Though he did look pretty pissed just now."

"Not with us, he isn't. I have never seen him in action though." River shrugged and then shook her by the thigh.

"Continue, why did he call after four-five long years?"

"He wants to get back together."

"Hell no." River narrowed her eyes. The audacity of that man!

"My exact words. I didn't even try to be polite." She laughed. "No way in hell am I ever getting back with that piece of shit!"

River nodded.

"We need wine or beer." She commented. This is the kind of conversation girls have over drinks.

"Or at least pizza." Jacqueline sighed.

"Right?" River turned to her. "So that's it? And you hung up?"

"Yeah I did." She lay down facing her bestie. "But guess who called me the next day to talk for him?"

River narrowed her eyes. "No he didn't."

"Yes he did!"

"He is dead!" River pulled out her phone, going into contacts.

"Wait, you have his number?" She sat up. "I thought you hated that guy!"

"No, he helped me find my kids." River shrugged as she searched for his name, and then stopped. She realized she didn't have his number in this phone.

She dropped the phone and sighed. "Stupid encrypted phone!"

"Ohhhh..." Jacqueline nodded in understanding. "They took our phone too."

"Of course they did." River grumbled. "So does Cole work for Eric now?"

She nodded in affirmative.

"And.." She hummed, enjoying her best friend's expression change out of curiosity.

"Guess who is getting married?"

"Who?" Now this was news!

"Someone whose name rhymes with Wanka." She used River's own words.

Her eyes widened, yet again. "Bianca?"

She laughed, nodding.

"And guess who she is marrying?"

"I don't know... some brain-dead creature?" River shrugged.

Jacqueline doubled over laughing as she said that. River too started laughing. She was wheezing but she still managed to say it, "No, Thomas Kyler!"

River stopped laughing. At once.

"The ultra hottie who came to the hospital around the time I left?"

She nodded.

"It's been what? A month?"

She nodded again, her smile back in its place, ready to blow up into another fit of giggles.

"Wow!" River exclaimed.

"I know right."

Wow.

.

.

.

__________________