58. I Can Handle Him

Start from the beginning

The two darlings nodded.

"Papa is going to fix some things and I promise you, you can stay with them forever after that." Mateo swore to himself that he was going to eliminate all the danger in their lives and give them whatever they wanted.

Mateo Adesso was the Capo of the Sicilian Mafia and also the son of one of the richest and most powerful family in the whole wide world. He should be able to give his children the world but at that moment, he wasn't even giving them a normal life. He knew that he was doing it for their own good.

The only thing that made the Mafia business tolerable was that despite the brutality, they followed principles. But this character names Mona Petrov was getting in the way of it all – she was jeopardizing the system and Mateo didn't think that her sleaze ball of a brother, Sergey Petrov, who also happened to be the freaking Boss of the Russian Mafia, was going to step in until he started facing accusations and backlash from his allies. Sergey was crooked like that. He pushed the limits and walked on thin ice and took action only when it directly affected him.

Mateo listened to the gibberish the kids were talking amongst themselves. They were so beautiful that no matter how much time he spent looking at them, he still felt awed just like the first time. They were angels.

They were almost nearing the house when Mateo realized that River and Alessia had fallen back and were maintaining some distance as they talked to each other. And something told him that they were up to no good. So he did the most obvious thing to do – He nudged the man-child named Adam and gestured to the ladies.

"Are you talking girl stuff?" Adam asked, turning around and walking backwards.

"No, we are talking sane stuff." Alessia retorted. "Turn around dumbass."

Mateo laughed at the angry pout and "Hymph!" that Adam made before he turned back around. They fell silent and continued walking.

"Papa, I want to climb the stairs myself." Kiara insisted. The huge stone stairs made her feel like a little princess walking up the mansion.

"Me too." Lucas said.

And as expected, Mia too wanted to walk up the stairs herself.

The adults laughed as they helped them up. The kids ran inside as soon as they reached the top.

"Careful!" River called after them.

"Okay!" The three yelled back.

All four of them turned around when they heard the engine of a car. They saw a black Porsche come to a stop in front of the house - a car Alessia, Adam and Mateo know all too well.

"Here comes Mr. Killjoy." Adam muttered under his breath.

"Alessia, inside." Mateo's face turned stoic immediately.

"I can handle him, brother." She scowled at the tan man that got out of the car. "I am not the old Alessia anymore."

"I know that." Mateo said in Italian. "But that doesn't change the fact that you are my sister. Now go inside."

"Fratello, I am not going to run away from him." Alessia asserted, glaring at the man who was grinning at her disgustingly. His stare was so lewd and almost sadistic that River wanted to punch him in the face. She didn't know what this man's relation to Mateo or Alessia was, but she knew that they hated him.

"Enough with whatever bullshit you brother and sister are talking." Adam spoke up, his eyes dead set on the tan Italian at the porch. He was watching the four of them like a hawk, his eyes lingering uncomfortably longer on the two women.

"Alessia, River, inside. Now." Mateo said.

River turned to him and then looked over at Alessia. She looked at her with determined eyes, telling her she wanted to stay. But River shook her head. She didn't know what exactly was going on, but she knew that now was not the time.

"Let's go." She said in a low voice.

Alessia let out a sigh and marched inside after throwing a dirty glare the visitor's way. She was quickly followed by River.

"Oh, come on, where is the fun in that?" Antonio de Pedis pouted mockingly as he strained his neck to watch the women move inside.

He walked up the stairs while Mateo and Adam blocked his view towards the house. A man like him could destroy a family just by his wretched presence.

"You really had the audacity to come back here, you son of a bitch!" Mateo glared down at him, but Antonio was the least bothered. In fact, he had the guts to laugh at what the Capo said.

"Of course, I had the 'audacity', because I know very well you are capable of doing absolutely nothing to me." He chuckled and turned to Adam. "What the hell are you looking at? Go inside, dog!"

"I will." Adam growled at him. "After I claw out your heart from your rotting body."

"Oooh, you have gotten more pig-headed." Antonio laughed. "Did you get promoted to lapdog now?"

"I will kill you if you speak any more bullshit." Mateo glared at him.

Antonio did his mocking ugly pout again. "Now now, don't be like that... Brother-in-law."

.

.

.

______________________________