52. You Guys Are Related?

Start from the beginning

She walked into the bathroom and he followed, closing the door behind him. "I don't need to change the dressing River." He whined before she even opened the cabinet where all the gauze and bandages were.

She turned towards him and raised a brow, her hands on her hips. "I will cancel this trip if you act like a kid Mateo."

He groaned and looked up. "Why are you being such a killjoy?"

"And why are you being such a baby?"

"River-"

"Just lift your shirt."

Though he continued grumbling to himself, Mateo lifted his shirt. River peeled off the bandages and wiped the area with a wet towel and then antiseptic. "Okay, the skin has grown over it." She commented as she pressed on it. "Does that hurt?"

He shook his head. "But it does hurt when I bend down or lift fat-asses."

River quirked a brow as he smirked down at her. "One, nobody asked you to pick me up and two, I am not a fat-ass."

"Yes you are."

"No I am not. Though there is nothing wrong with being fat, I am not. I am scrawny, skin and bones and all that." She pointed out, disposing off the used bandage and just deciding to leave the wound as it is. It didn't need dressing anymore.

"You are not fat, but you have a fat ass."

River rolled her eyes, looking up. "Oh I am sorry, some five years ago my body thought it would have to push out two little monkeys so it widened my hip. Big deal!"

"Thought? You did push out the two monkeys."

"No I didn't. I had a C-section." River said, taking out his medicines and passing it to him before opening the pack of syringe.

"Why?"

"Well, the kids managed to get tangled up in each other's umbilical cord, crack two of my ribs and we had to get them out premature at thirty-five weeks." She gave his analgesic shot and disposed of the syringe as well.

"You never told me any of that." He sounded sullen yet again.

"It's quite normal during twin pregnancies." River sighed. "I don't remember what happened that night." She chuckled out loud at the one teeny detail. "The only thing I remember is Shane had to run out of his room mid-sex when I collapsed and screamed for him. So he took me to the hospital in boxers and a trench coat."

"What is your relationship with... Shane?"

"Sebastian or Mr. Shane to you. Shane to Jackie and me." River said. "Shane and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember because our mothers are best friends. He is the brother from another mother."

"Like me and Michelia." He commented, chuckling.

"Yeah?" River turned to him after putting all the stuff back in the box.

"Yeah, Michelia is four years younger than us. And she was the only girl among us. Our fathers worked closely and then Michelia was born and Leo and I vowed to protect her as the elder brothers. Leo had other ideas I guess. We never knew he was into incest." He chuckled.

River scrunched up her nose. "Wait, you guys are related?"

"No. Leo and I are first cousins. Michelia's dad, Gaetano is Leo's Papa Luigi's, right-hand man. My papa, Alessio is the boss. Zio Luigi - Zio means uncle - is the underboss and Ricardo's papa, Giovanni, is the advisor to the Sicilian Mafia. You might have met Ricardo once or twice, right?" He listed out. River looked at him and blinked. "You will get used to it." He winked.

She smacked his arm while he guffawed. The sound of his laughter did things to her. "Now get out so I can do my business." She said.

River turned on her heels to go get her clothes but was stopped when two strong arms wrapped around her, turning her back to him, pulling her closer.

"Mateo?" River's voice came out squeaky as her senses assessed the sudden change in the mood.

Mateo gazed at her eyes intensely, making her feel weird, the good kind of weird. "What?" She whispered out.

"You know what I thought about you before I knew you had kids?"

She shook her head and chuckled nervously. "I am not a mind reader now, am I?"

"I thought.." He moved his mouth closer to her ear, his breath fanning her lobe, "..that you will be the one to bear my children."

River's eyes widened as she heard it. He placed a kiss on her jaw and walked away, leaving her there with wide eyes and probably a scarlet face.

What??

.

.

.

____________________________________