Chapter 27 - The first call for help

Начните с самого начала

 Anyone would be grumpy drinking a mouthful of salt water first thing in the morning.

 "Lyney most likely switched them around last time they were here. I should have suspected it. It wasn't even the first time."

 If it wasn't the first time you really should try it before mixing it into water.

 On a different note...

 He definitely looked better than last night.

 Should I bring it up?

 Should I just keep quiet and wait for his doctor?

 But this isn't really a physical problem.

 So should I bring it up first?

 "I can hear you thinking." Neuvillette spoke up suddenly.

 "Huh?"

 "If you want to say something, just say it. If you frown any harder thinking about it, that frown might become permanent?"

 Was that an attempt at a joke?

 But fine.

 "Last night... Do you want to talk about it?"

 He fell silent.

 "If you don't, we can-"

 "I'm sorry."

 "What?"

 "I'm sorry for what happened yesterday. I understand if you want to leave-"

 "Hey, hey! Wait just a second! Slow down a bit, will you?!"

 For one, that apology is completely unwarranted.

 This only happened because I tried to tackle him in the first place.

 I feel like he's trying to hide in his bubble right now.

 Not gonna happen.

 I sat down on the chair next to him and turned to face in his direction, holding out my hand.

 "Can I hold your hand?"

 "Why?"

 "Just because. No special reason."

 While he still looked at me incredibly confused, he slowly placed his hand on top of mine.

 Cautiously, I shifted my hand, interlocking our fingers and holding his hand.

 "Wanna tell me what happened? Did I scare you?"

 "Scare... is not exactly accurate. Alarm, more like it. I tend to react defensively to sudden violent movements."

 Yeah. I got that much.

 "But that does not justify me hurting you. I apologize. How is your neck?" He asked.

 I wanted to say that it was fine, but the dark bruise around my neck did not allow for that lie.

 "It doesn't hurt much." I said instead.

 He cast me a doubtful glance before looking away in silence.

 His other hand reached across the table, pulling a file from the other corner in front of me.

 "This is?"

 "The file I told you to ask for last night."

 Ah... Right.

 I completely forgot about that about it.

 "What is in this file explains why I reacted so strongly to your actions yesterday."