Chapter 51: Just Even Steven

Start from the beginning

"I wish I were there too. I wish I had gone with you. But when I learned about your departure, you were already gone." Ohm swallowed, wondering why their good memories always ended up with a sour aftertaste. He regretted calling Nanon a whore back then, and he was sure his lover regretted that slap, but it shouldn't have happened that way. That was not how he had pictured their first time. Love shouldn't ever be laced with violence.

"Did you hate me then? After you heard I accepted P'Tha's forced vacation?" Nanon asked, a little apprehensive.

"I could never hate you. I know why you did it. Even though I hated that you took off like that, I could never hate you." Ohm told him honestly.

"Do you really know why I did it?"

"Your dad told me that he convinced you to be reasonable, apologize to P'Tha, accept his apology too, and save our jobs."

"Weren't you furious at my dad?" The singer cocked his head to the side. The older shook his head.

"He was looking out for your future. He wants what's best for you. I didn't want him to think that I didn't want the same, so I restrained myself and avoided following you. He's a sensible man. I can't say the same about my dad."

"I heard about your fight. I was gone, and you still told your dad about us. Why?" Nanon eyed him pitifully.

"My parents were worried about my mental state after I admitted to those bullying accusations online. People were out to get me on every social media platform. I was quite depressed then. But what hurt me the most was your absence. And I couldn't hide it from them. Even though Thai and my mom already knew about you and I, I felt obliged to tell him the truth." Ohm said sincerely.

"That was very brave of you." Nanon smiled a little. "I've always admired this aspect of your personality. You never keep the important things to yourself. Even when you want to, you can only manage to do it for a while, and then they just burst out of you when people least expect it." He added with a hint of accusation in it. Ohm easily noticed the lingering sarcasm within that affirmation.

"Listen, I know you're still wondering about me and Ananda-"

"How's that hangover treating you?" The singer quickly cut him off and dismissed the affliction etched on the older's face with a wave of his hand. Ohm knew that they should talk about that topic, and he was also aware that the singer wanted the remaining unspoken answers he owed him, but he didn't understand why Nanon was avoiding them at that moment.

"Not as bad as I deserve." An uneasy Ohm replied sincerely and kneeled on the bed. "I guess you found your things, the guitar, the concealer, the clothes, the perfumes...I bet your sister didn't take notice of everything I took from your condo. You must think I'm a kleptomaniac."

"I understand why you did it. It was weird and romantic. Just like us." Nanon said simply, one more time, sounding like nothing was wrong between them. "At least when I move in, I won't have to go through much trouble moving things around. Engaged couples should live together and share stuff anyways." He smiled tenderly, but Ohm's eyes widened at the 'move in' part. He couldn't avoid the elephant in the room anymore. And he knew he should start from the beginning.

"Look, Non, the vodka made me act crazy, but that's no excuse for-"

"Domestic violence?" A reticent Nanon raised an eyebrow at him. "Am I perhaps, your battered wifey now?"

Ohm grimaced and swallowed the pill the singer gave him without the water. He placed the glass back on the nightstand and shook his head in utter disagreement. "Never. I don't know what to say to make you believe me, but I assure you that shit won't happen again. You are here now and I don't have to act like a bastard anymore, I...I will never touch a bottle of vodka ever again. And I swear I will never ever hurt-"