| CHAPTER TWELVE |

CHAPTER TWELVE - DREAMS

During her drug-fueled, almost comatose state, Davina's dreams became highly vivid. At first, they started out plain and boring, then extended to frightening. She relived the moment she killed a man over and over again. The same images repeated themselves, and she was left screaming in her dream, covered in another human's blood.

She tried to escape the situation before it happened, but each time, she was thrown back to the Motel room with a knife in her hand.

Her worst vivid dream was the last one before she roused from her slumber. The same scene played out, but with a knife in her hand, blood across her body and a man on the floor, except this time, it was Rick's body that lay before her.

She screamed and ran to his body, collapsing to the side of him. She begged and pleaded with him to wake up, to no avail. She sobbed into his blood-soaked chest.

"Dee, Dee! Davina!"

Davina shot awake with a scream; two hands were forcefully pressed against her shoulder. It took her some time to recognise the voice and the man who held her down.

"Daryl," she whispered.

"Jesus!" he hissed, removing his hands from her shoulders and shuffling away. "You scared me; you've been screaming for almost an hour; I thought the cops were going to be called."

Daryl was breathing heavily, and he stood with his hand clutched to his chest. He was unsteady on his feet and was covered by a thin layer of sweat.

"I'm sorry," Davina said as she kneeled on the bed, "dream got a bit," she paused, "intense."

Daryl sighed and closed his eyes, "it's okay. Just don't scare me like that again."

_____

Pointless gossip often did its rounds at the Police Station; more often than not, it was about staff-on-staff relationships, but occasionally, the more notable of the locals got a mention by the gaggle of staff that enjoyed gossiping while sipping their morning coffee.

Since agreeing to light duties, Rick found himself stuck in the station for the majority of the day. He was moved from evening and night shifts to morning and daytime shifts. He had hated the change, but it was allowing his body to work its way into a better sleeping pattern. But even so, he only slept two to three hours a night.

He sat alone in the small cafeteria, drinking his coffee. He wasn't particularly listening to any of the hushed conversations around him and hadn't noticed a group of officers staring and whispering until a particular name was mentioned.

"...well anyway, that Davina and Daryl have supposedly got themselves into a bit of trouble with that one guy; what's his name, Jimmy? The one who deals heroin," he heard one voice say.

"And Davina is the one that Officer Grimes was paying to have sex with?" another said in shock.

He heard them snigger and look towards him. They were shocked to see his eyes dark and jumped slightly when he rose from his chair and approached them.

"Where do you get your information from?" Rick snapped.

The two women and a man lowered their heads in shame for being caught in the act.