| CHAPTER NINE |

CHAPTER NINE - LETTER

Davina was driven back to Rick's house by Tara. The journey was quiet, and besides the aching in her bare feet, all she could think about was how to remove herself from Rick's life.

She wanted to ignore other's words telling her to let him go, but she knew it would be a battle with her willpower.

She wasn't lying when she told Rick she loved him. Not really, anyway; she did love him, not completely, but enough.  She loved how much he cared about her, more than anyone had ever cared for her at all besides Merle.

She did wish that it had never come down to this, and a small part of her wanted to tell Tara to turn the police car around and take her back to the station so she could confess to her crime, but she was a coward. She feared losing Rick, but she knew they had no future.

They could never be anything more than what they were at that moment. They were bound together by lies, fear and bloodshed.

She was also ashamed of herself for not fully considering Merle's involvement and the sacrifices he had made for her. She owed him an outstanding debt that she knew she would never be able to repay.

It saddened her to think of him alone in a cold, cramped cell.

She also thought of Daryl. Merle's sidekick and only living relative. They were as thick as thieves despite their disagreements, and she knew that even though Daryl wouldn't show it, he would be devastated by the entire situation.

She never thought she would have been friends with people like them, but she would forever be grateful for what they had done for her.

As the police car came to a stop, she snapped from her thoughts. Her eyes were glossy as she held back tears she wasn't even sure she could produce after all the crying she had done.

"Thank you, Officer Chambler," Davina croaked. She cleared her throat as Tara smiled softly at her.

"Next Friday, come to the station and ask for me. I will write the referral and take you down to meet Michonne Hawthorne. She's the woman who set up the programme. I think you will like her."

Davina nodded, "thank you again. I will see you next week," she promised as she unclipped her seat belt and opened the car door.

Tara waved goodbye as she watched Davina knock on the door of Rick's house before driving away.

Davina heard the door unlock, and soon it was open, and Rick appeared with an expectant look on his face. "Come in," he ushered.

Davina walked past him, sitting herself down on his couch. She let out a sigh of relief. She didn't want to talk about what had happened at the police station, but she knew by the look on Rick's face that he was overflowing with questions.

"How did it go?" Rick asked, sitting in the chair across from the couch.

Davina sighed and crossed her legs, "it went okay. I don't think they suspect me of anything; I told them I must have left my phone there when I went to see Merle. They seemed to buy my story."

Rick nodded and laced his fingers together, resting them between his knees, "that's good. Did they mention us?" he asked nervously.