| CHAPTER EIGHT |

CHAPTER EIGHT - LIES

"Officer Walsh," Sheriff Oldham called out.

Shane raised his head from his paperwork, "yes, sir?" he replied.

"Come with me," the older man gestured for Shane to follow him into his office.

Shane straightened his uniform as he entered the small office. He watched as his superior sat at the desk before him. Shane stood with his hands clutched in front of him.

Sheriff Oldham had been on the job for 28 years. He was a much older man than Shane, with a balding head and grey beard. He was firm but fair, and one of the best Sheriffs the station had ever had.

"Shane, you've been friends with Rick Grimes a long time, haven't you?" Sheriff Oldham asked.

Shane furrowed his brows, "yes, sir. Since we were children," he replied.

The Sheriff nodded his head slowly before raising an evidence bag in the air, "would you have any idea why his phone number is in the contacts of a phone found at the scene of a murder? A phone we believe to belong to Davina Cooper, a local prostitute."

Shane swallowed hard, shit, he thought to himself. "I've no idea, sir. Are we certain that it is Officer Grimes' phone number?"

Shane didn't know why he questioned it; he knew there was little possibility of them being wrong.

"Of course," he replied with raised eyebrows and stood from the desk. "I want you and Officer Chambler to visit Rick's home. I want an informal statement from him about his connection with Ms. Cooper."

Shane nodded his head slowly, briefly debating whether to give Rick the heads up.

"Shane, I doubt Rick has any connection to the murder; however, I would prefer that any connection he has to this prostitute is kept under wraps. I can't have it public knowledge that one of my best Officers is sleeping with prostitutes."

Shane nodded slowly, "yes, Sir."

"After you've spoken to Rick, find Davina and bring her in. I want to know why her phone was at the scene of a murder."

_____

Davina and Rick had spent the day laying in bed together. He refused to let her go for anything.

Despite only hours ago agreeing it would be best for her to move away, he had taken his words back. He couldn't let her go, not when she needed him.

For the last 3 hours, she had told and retold the events of the night before.

Rick took every detail in, ensuring no change to her story. They also spoke of Merle's story. Repeating the plan, he had to make sure there were no gaps in his story, any inaccuracies, or anything at all that could get them all caught.

He heard the hard knocks at his door and initially ignored them, but whoever it was continued to knock.

He sighed to himself and pulled away from Davina, "stay here; I won't be long," he whispered, placing a kiss on her forehead.

Rick opened the door with no expectations but was surprised to see Shane Walsh and Tara Chambler at his door wearing their police uniform.