| CHAPTER ONE |

CHAPTER ONE - MOTEL

The police car began to slow down; the streets were empty, and the only light in the area came from the few streetlights scattered up and down the sidewalk. He watched the figure from afar, a young woman with arms clutched around her body, for warmth he imagined.

The night air was brisk, and thick clouds covered the moon. He continued to watch the figure before he sped up and flashed the lights on the police cruiser.

The young woman whipped her head around, her eyes wide. She stood still, her arms still clung around her body. He wasn't surprised she was cold, considering all she wore was a short, dark red dress with heels.

He rolled the car window down and balanced his elbow on the window, "bit late to be roaming the streets in this weather," he said, raising an eyebrow and eyeing her up and down, "been anywhere nice?" He asked causally. He assumed she had been partying, but he was also aware of the amount of prostitutes that roamed the area looking for work.

The woman before him brushed her dark, curled hair behind her ear, "just heading home," she replied. He noticed her lipstick was slightly smeared, and her eyelids were covered in dark shadow and thick eyeliner. He imagined she would be just as attractive without the thick layer of makeup.

He looked at her carefully, unable to decipher if she was lying, but she looked uncomfortable. She was shivering and rubbing her hands up and down her arms. "Would you like a ride back home? It would be irresponsible of me to allow you to walk back."

While it wasn't in his job description to be a cab driver for random women roaming the street, he wouldn't have been able to forgive himself if he went to work the next day to hear a body had been found.

The woman shook her head, "n-no, it's okay. It's not far now," she replied with a shiver.

He shook his head, "get in," he ordered. He reached across the centre console and opened the passenger door from the inside. He watched as the woman sighed and looked around the area before walking around the car and getting inside.

"Officer Rick Grimes," he introduced himself with a smile.

The young woman clipped in her seatbelt and half-heartedly smiled, "Davina Cooper," she replied softly.

Rick nodded and smiled, "Okay, Davina, where is home for you?" He asked.

She sighed, "The Heights Motel, just off the highway."

Rick nodded, knowing it well. However, a sense of unease washed over him. The particular motel was a frequent stop for him while on patrol. He was usually busting drug deals, breaking up fights and escorting hookers away from the area. The heroin usage in that area had also skyrocketed in recent years. He briefly found himself glancing down at her uncovered arm, searching for track marks, but there was no obvious sign that she was or ever had injected herself. She didn't look like a stereotypical drug user, but Rick knew they came in all different shapes, sizes and backgrounds.

"Okay, I will get you there safely. It's far too cold and unsafe to be walking all that way."

_____

Rick parked his police cruiser in front of the motel. Music was blaring from one of the rooms, and many unfriendly-looking characters were hanging around smoking and looking guilty when they saw the police car approach.

Davina looked down at her lap, trying to avoid the stares from the people nearby, "thank you, officer."

As she placed her hand on the door handle, Rick spoke up, "here," he said, reaching into his glove compartment.