| CHAPTER EIGHT |

Start from the beginning

"Hey," Rick said shortly.

"Can we come in, Rick? We have some questions to ask," Shane said awkwardly. The last thing he ever wanted to do was interrogate his best friend.

Rick's heartbeat began to quicken. He tried to keep his cool as he let his colleagues and friends inside and sat at the dining table.

"What's this about?" Rick finally asked.

His friends looked nervous, and their eyes wouldn't meet his own.

"Sheriff sent us, they found a phone at the murder scene.  It's Davina Coopers. They've looked through the phone and found your number in there. He wants to know what your connection is?"

Rick took a deep breath, puffing his cheeks up with air before letting it out in a heavy sigh, "you know what my connection is, Shane."

"I know, but I still have to ask. Sheriff wants us to bring Davina in. We're hoping you know where she is. There's suspicion she was at the crime scene the night the murder took place."

Rick's heart was pounding against his chest so hard he thought they would be able to hear it.

He had the opportunity to tell them the truth about everything, but he knew he could never bring himself to do it after everything that had happened between himself and Davina.

He had no idea what to say or what to do. He knew If he told them that she was in the next room, they would take her straight to the station and question her. He also knew she possibly wasn't in the right mind to be questioned and may slip up and land everyone in trouble.

Rick took a deep breath, almost regretting his words as he spoke, but he knew it was the only way out of his current predicament.

"Davina wasn't at the murder scene," Rick sighed, "she was with me."

Shane and Tara's eyes widened. "What?" Tara exclaimed, "why?"

"We were here, both of us."

"No, I don't believe you. You told me you would leave me to sort her, pass the book to Tara! You agreed, Rick," Shane shouted.

His words left Tara confused. She knew of Davina through Shane. He had asked for her to refer Davina to a housing programme to get her off the streets, but she didn't realise there was a connection between Davina and Rick.

Rick stood from the table, "Davina," he called out.

The bedroom door creaked open, and Davina entered the kitchen.

Shane scoffed, and Tara watched on in shock.

Davina walked towards Rick, wearing his clothes with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders.

"You've got to be kidding me," Shane laughed, but there was no humour in his tone. He was furious more than anything.

Rick placed the palm of his hand on her back. "They want to ask you some questions."

Davina nodded slowly, having heard the conversation from the bedroom.

"What can I do for you, Officers?" she questioned, leaning into Rick's embrace.