Alpha Xiandre nodded and turned to me. "Of course. I've been rude. My apologies, Paige."

I shrugged. "It's fine. And uhm... two mates? I've never known that that was a thing." I tilted my head to the side.

Xiandre chuckled and nodded. "It is, fortunately for me. I'm one lucky man. Since I know that the two of you can keep stuff to yourself, I can tell you the best part; soon I'll have 3 kids too." He smiled and met Allen's eyes.

True warmth and happiness filled Allen's eyes. He looked like himself again. Like my Allen, who was happy for his friend's joy. "How great! So one of them is having twins?"

Xiandre nodded, his expression that of pride. "Yeah. Lola is 12 weeks with one and Hannah is 15 weeks with two boys. So obviously, Lola is hoping for a girl."

Allen nodded at him. "That's so great for you. All of you. You'll have to extend my congratulations to the two of them, in case I don't survive Mabel's wrath."

Xiandre chuckled. "Yeah, I will. The two of you are welcome to dinner later, though. If you want and if you get through today with your lives, dignity and titles intact. Although you'll still be welcome without the titles." He smiled warmly, and then the elevator dinged as we reache dour destination floor. We all walked out at the same time.

No further words were exchanged, we were just led down a narrow hall into a large conference room with a big glass table and 16 chairs- 6 at each side and then 2 at each end. A few of them had already been taken, and as soon as we entered, all eyes turned to us. With scowls included.

Allen's hand nuzzled me quickly twice at the small of my back, and then dropped. He nodded politely to acknowledge the other Alphas and then pulled out one of the chairs at the end of the table and gestured with his head for me to sit. He took the seat to my left.

The evil glares directed at us made me look down on my hands resting on the impeccable glass tabletop. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught side of Allen. He didn't falter or back down. But glared right back.

"Why, exactly, is your mate here?" Someone, a man, asked from the other end of the table. "I'm certain there are duties more suitable for her to attend to at your family residence."

Allen growled quietly beside me. "She's here because she wants to be, and because this is about her as well, Carvin. Unless you have any legitimate protests, then please don't go out of your way to make my mate uncomfortable."

A grunt and snort sounded, and I just kept my eyes on my hands. I may not be a wolf, but there was certainly a clear atmosphere of power and authority in the meeting room. A sensation that only grew more forceful and pushy as more Alphas filed into the room. At 7 on the dot, everyone was in their chairs.

I finally sneaked a peak at the people around the table. There seemed to be an age ranging from early twenties to early forties. A wide mix of races and genders were sitting around the table. They were all different, from hairstyles to facial features to clothes and makeup, the only thing they all had in common was the fact that they were looking at Allen and I.

Alpha Xiandre was the first to stand up from his seat. He reached into the middle of the table, pressing a button on some machine in the center. "As the Alpha of this territory, I'd like to welcome you all, in spite of the less than happy circumstances under which we are meeting. As we are all adults and sensible people, we will all act like it. A certain degree of hostility and agitation is of course understandable, as we are here as a result of the death of one of our own. However, this does not absolve us of our responsibilities to be civil and appropriate with one another." He looked around at all of us.

"An audio tape of our meeting is being recorded, so that everything we say can be published in various news media for the sake of transparency with the general population. So mind your words. Present today is myself, Alpha Xiandre, as well as Alpha Zeena, Alpha Ida, Alpha Amy, Alpha Martin, Alpha Cecyl, Alpha Isabelle, Alpha Carvin, Alpha Mabel, Alpha Greyson, Alpha Leoree, Alpha Nalani, and Alpha Allen, who has brought along with his fated soulmate, the human Paige White. We are all here today to discuss the further strategy for our territories and packs to continue to work together, grow, and prosper in the face of Alpha Charles' early and unexpected death. This death, as we all know, happened at the Alpha Allen's hands. Please, Alpha Allen, state your method and reasoning behind the killing of Alpha Charles." Alpha Xaindre sat back down.