Chapter 68

As I'm updating, I'm being traumatized by the sound of my mom and her gf having sex.

Just need to trauma-dump that

I'm going to be paying for a psychologist's vacation home someday. Just a tidbit of advice for parents; either get a soundproof house or don't fuck so loud that your kids can hear it. Jfc. 

Anyway, enjoy the chapter. There's ~drama~

***************

A couple of convincing words and a vaguely veiled threat had been all that was required for the hospital staff to make arrangements for Allen and myself to share a hospital room, one just a hallway's length away from where poor little Austin was still very much hooked up to a machine that helped him breathe. It'd been four days, and he still hadn't stirred, made no indication that he was going to wake up soon.

It may make me a terrible person, but I tried not to think about it. It gnawed in my stomach, made the bile rise. I didn't want to think about what the fact that he was still in a coma could mean.

And as selfish and awful as it sounded, I had myself to worry about, when it came to the health bit.

I rearranged the cannula under my nose after scratching my upper lip, taking a deep breath through my nostrils.

This was some 'The Fault in Our Stars'-shit.

Every breath hurt, each inhale lazed with an ache through my lungs. My throat was raw and swelled, barely letting in enough air to sustain the feeble brain cells in my skull- thus far, from what the doctors had discerned, none of them had died in the icy water. I had to trust the doctors that they were right; I mean, it can't be that hard to keep track of the 2 cells bouncing around in my head anyway, right?

But, still, thanks to the swelling and the oxygen levels in my blood not looking too good, the cannula had been ordered by one of the doctors. I breathed deeply through my nose, the extra oxygen boost giving relief to my lungs- which then hurt, thanks to the expansion. You get some, you lose some.

I looked up when Allen opened the door to the hospital room, closing it quietly while glancing down at his phone. He hadn't seen me, or rather, the fact that I was awake yet.

I felt my forehead crease into a frown at the sight of his face. He slept terribly in the hospital bed, the few hours he'd attempt sleeping each night. His days were spent at my side, or working, and most nights, some half-awake part of my brain registered him getting out of the tiny, cramped hospital bed and leaving the room. Going to sit by Austin.

In short, Allen looked like a pile of shit that desperately needed a nap.

I cleared my throat. "Hey, sweetie, are you alright?"

HIs eyes, hidden away in dark circles, moved away from his phone screen. Widened in surprise, before a gentle, tired smile took over his face. "Hi, my love. I thought you were still sleeping. I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "It's fine. But, like I asked; how are you?"

He averted my gaze, looking back down at his phone, tapping away for a moment, before returning his attention to me. "I'm great, nothing to worry about, love."

My lips pressed together. Without a word, I scooted off a little to the side in my miniscule hospital bed, tapping the wee bit of space beside me. Allen's jaw clenched for a moment, before he released a defeated breath, laying his phone down on the end table at the foot of my bed and climbing in beside me.

He wrapped his arms around me, careful to not mess with the cannula tube, or the IV through which the doctors administered my painkillers and antibiotics. He sagged against me, his eyes thin slits now that he was finally laying down.