Chapter 2

A deep breath left me, as I followed the woman down the stairs, and outside the building. A line of 20 limousines was parked down the road, as I imagined it was on each of the 158- next year 159- slum area streets, each with 122 tiny apartments.

She opened told me to walk down to the 4th limousine, the one in which I was supposed to drive. I opened the door and got in, looking at the 4 others in the car.

A girl with the most beautiful pitch-black eyes I had ever seen was fidgeting with her fingers in her laps, the girl sitting next to her, whose name I knew through my mom was Everest, had her petite body wrapped in a suit, a preference we had been able to choose when we had to order the clothes for tonight. The third girl had short brown hair, in a pixie-like haircut, a dress the same color as my own, but shorter and with spaghetti straps instead of off-shoulder sleeves. Her nails were bitten down to the roots, but she had still apparently tried to put on some nail polish, not very successfully.

Fear flooded my veins, should I have worn nail polish too? Was it one of those requirements they expect us to know so they don't write them down? I looked at Everest and the dark-haired girl. Everest wasn't wearing any nail polish, but the dark-haired girl was, but it was crackled and old, so perhaps it wasn't a requirement. Thank god.

The last person was a boy, who was sitting next to me, with a white button-up shirt, black dress pants, and a rashly tied tie, tears in his eyes.

The door I had just closed opened again, revealing a guy, my age, perhaps a bit older, wearing a tux. He shifted his eyes to beside me, before looking at me.

"Uh, do you mind moving? We'd like to y'know, sit together..." his voice fainted into a whisper, a blush traveling up his dark-colored throat.

I nodded, getting out of the limo for a second, getting mean glances from the guards nearby as the boy got in, sitting beside what I realized was his boyfriend after they braided their fingers.

I got in again, returning a smile from the couple. The guy in the tuxedo, who was the tallest of the two, pulled the blond-haired boy closer, kissing the top of his head as a soft sob had left him.

My heart broke for the two. I hoped for them they neither of them would belong to a wolf so that they could live a, perhaps poor, but at least happy life together. I smiled at them again, resting my head against the seat, begging to who or whatever that I would return home tonight.

A shiver went down my spine as the car started driving. I looked out the window, at the groups of parents and siblings who were waving goodbye, some with tears in their eyes, others hoping that their child would take them away from the life in the slum. I couldn't catch sight of my parents, but I knew they were there, probably trying to catch sight of me too.

We drove out the massive metal gates, all the limos in one long row. After a few minutes of driving, we drove onto the highway, and just as the car accelerated to

75 mph, the speakers in the doors started scratching from channel to channel. The driver apparently wanted to listen to music. He left the radio on a scratchy channel, that suddenly came to life.

"Humans of the Eclipse pack, this is your Alpha speaking. I just want to put down a few guidelines for you to follow, in order to not embarrass me, the pack, nor yourselves. If these guidelines are not followed, immediate punishment will be carried out for the enjoyment of the other attendants at the party.

First of all; nothing but your absolute best behavior will be accepted tonight, you are all expected to be polite and welcoming towards your possible soulmates, and superiors. If someone tries to initiate a conversation, you must politely take part and answer any questions they may have.