CHAPTER 24: NEW YEAR'S DAY

Tom went to sleep fairly quickly. I had too many things on my mind. I closed my eyes, but my mind was racing. About Emma. About Tom and me.

Tom said, "Madison, are you okay?"

I said, "yes. I'm fine."

Tom said, "Why aren't you asleep. I know you're exhausted."

I said, "I am, but I guess I have too many things on my mind."

Tom said, "do you want to talk about it?"

I said, "Tom, I thought you were asleep."

Tom said, "I was, until my wife removed her hands from my hair." I laughed.

 I said, "Sorry."

Tom said, "it's okay. Are you thinking about Emma?"

I said, "yes, I feel like I'm a bad friend."

Tom said, "Madison why are you so hard on yourself. You are the best friend to me, to Emma."

I said, "Because tonight was a good night, and I was happy."

Tom said, "I'm glad you are happy, that's a good thing."

I said, "But she isn't. I wish she and Mike were happy like we are. But instead, she is going through a lot of pain and upset right now."

Tom said, "I'm sorry about that. But Madison we have a right to be happy. We should not feel guilty that we are happy. She would not want you to do that."

I said, "I know. I wish things were different and she could have come to our party. And had fun."

I said, "And then I'm scared."

Tom said, "Scared of what?"

I said, "I'm so happy, and always in my life, whenever anything good at all happened to me, then it didn't last. I'm scared that I won't be able to keep this, us." I cried.

Tom said, "Madison please don't cry. You have nothing to be scared of. I love you, you're the only girl that has ever made me fall in love, the only girl I have obsessed over. That won't change its forever."

I wished I could tell him what I was scared of. I hate not telling him. He tells me that I'm his best friend, and he can tell me everything and wants me to do the same. But I'm just afraid, what if I mess up, forget my pill, or what if the pills don't work and neither does Tom's protection. What if I get pregnant. It could happen. I will lose him. I know he wouldn't force me, but I also know he doesn't want to be a dad. I don't want him to live a life that he doesn't want. I keep telling myself not to worry about it, who knows if that did happen, maybe he would change his mind by then. But sometimes when I'm trying to sleep, it's in my mind.

I said, "Tom I just feel like I might do something to mess it up, I mean not on purpose, but"

Tom said, "Madison there isn't anything you could do to mess us up. You're not that kind of girl to go cheat on me. I trust you completely."

I said, "Tom no I would never cheat on you. I didn't mean that."

Tom said, "That is the only thing that would mess us up. And I promise you Madison I will never do that to you. Never cheat on you. I will be a jerk and lose my temper and say stuff I don't mean, but I will never cheat on you, or betray you. You believe me, right?"

I said, "yes I do."

Tom said, "Then baby nothing is going to hurt us."

I said, ' I feel like a bad friend. I feel like I should be going on Monday, but Emma told me she doesn't want me to. I need to be there for her. I think I'm going anyway. I'll just drive my car."