Chapter 33

The next day passes as the earlier one did. I didn't have any time to read more of the journal because, after returning to my rooms, I'd passed out from fatigue. Yuri really did know how to train.

While I am walking down from the top floor to join my dysfunctional family for dinner, I hear something that makes my heart stop at my throat.

"Yes, he's in the dungeon, your majesty." I'm almost certain this is General Darrow's voice. Does it have something to do with what the emperor was reading the day before yesterday at breakfast?

"Do not mention anything in front of Princess Jasmine. I plan on surprising her during the Telmor brat's welcome party." The emperor orders.

Yeah, this was definitely a private conversation I wasn't supposed to hear. Who's in the dungeon, and why does Wariu want to surprise me with his presence?

No. It can't be. He can't possibly be this stupid. If Miles knew what was good for him, he should be halfway to Avenlea by now.

"Eavesdropping, Jasmine?" A voice brings me away from my thoughts. Damn it. It's Kyoshi.

I find her standing behind me, her hands crossed over her chest, and a mischievous grin on her face. She looks polished, which, as I've learned in the last two days, is her usual. There's a stark contrast between us, despite the fact that we share a few features. Namely, the blonde hair. Mine is as wild as ever, while hers is braided in neat plaits. Her clothes look like they were made to match her personality perfectly—sweet and delicate. She's in her signature pink today, an elegant dress that reaches her ankles.

I can't find it in myself to reply. I have nothing to say for myself, so instead I lift a shoulder in a small shrug. It's always my strategy in difficult situations; fake confidence, as if I have nothing to be sorry for. It's worked to my advantage on several occasions since I learned that my silence would make the other party uncomfortable enough to let the matter go, or better yet, try to fill the silence to try to make it less awkward.

It has the desired effect of making Kyoshi speak. "You want to know what they mean?" She whispers as if telling me a great secret, even going as far as to lean her head towards me. "Your boy toy is in a cell under us right now. I heard he's refusing to say anything until he sees that you're safe."

Great. That boy is too stubborn for his own good. I'd hoped he would forget whatever quest his king had given him.

I pick at my nails, trying to show indifference to what she's just said. "Who?" I deadpan.

She smiles like she knows how much I'm seething inside, like she knows how much I want to kill her father—our father.

"I can help you see him." She places a hand over her heart. "I give you my word that I won't mention it to my father. I know what it's like to want to see a boy."

She still has that obnoxious grin on her face that my hand itches to wipe off her face. Something about her is not right. Every action of hers seems insincere, but something tells me she's not lying about Miles being in a cell, and so I follow her to a far corner of the palace.

They'd hidden the stairs that lead to the basement cleverly. It's close to the servant's entrance in a dark room. It takes us long enough to reach there that I wonder how the emperor will react to our absence from dinner.

Kyoshi pulls out a key from a hidden pocket in her gown. How I managed not to notice it is beyond me.

Why would Kyoshi have a key to a room that leads to the dungeons?

Sure, she's a princess, but it isn't like she's the type to be involved in torturing prisoners. I wouldn't be as surprised if Yuri had a key, but Kyoshi?

The spiral stairs are so long that I'm sure I'll be dizzy by the time we reach the bottom. We take them slowly, with Kyoshi being extra careful of her dress.

Sure enough, by the time my foot touches the last step, I'm so faint that I take a moment to sit down to regain my senses.

Kyoshi taps her foot impatiently. "Shouldn't keep pretty boy waiting, Jasmine."

Wait. How does she know what he looks like? Has she been down here to see him before? How long has Miles been here?

I push myself to my feet and follow her further into the room. Empty cells line both walls until we reach a cell with a person curled up inside.

"Wake up. Someone's here to see you." She knocks her hand against the bar a few times.

"I told you I wouldn't talk until—" His voice fades as his gaze falls on me.

I yearn to fall to my knees and take him in my arms, but I resist the urge. I won't give her the satisfaction. She looks too smug for her own good.

"Jasmine." A single word. Just my name. It almost makes me crumple down into a ball and cry.

His face is bruised up; clearly, they've tried beating him into speaking. His wounded form brings tears to my eyes that I quickly blink away before Kyoshi sees them. I can't lose control. I have to get him out of here.

"Who's he?" I tilt my head as I look at her. I hear him make a small sound of pain from his throat that I ignore. "I thought you were taking me to see someone I know."

Now she looks confused. She expected me to crumble, to wail, and to sob for her to free him. She didn't expect the coldness I forced onto my face and into my voice as I spoke, even as my heart broke.