Chapter 21

My eyes opened suddenly, blinded by the sunlight around me. I thrash in my handcuffs, confused about where I am.

Then I register what I did last night. Or maybe it wasn't last night. That's when I notice that I'm on a horse. My back is pressed against the front of the officer who had bound my hands.

I stop squirming, looking around me. I don't know what I'm looking for. No, that's not quite right. I know exactly who I'm looking for. I take the time to search each person's face. Thankfully, I find no evidence of Miles being here. I almost sag in relief before remembering who's behind me.

"Good morning, Sunshine." He chuckles behind me.

I could get behind the bindings around my wrist, but mocking me is just cruel. I refuse to answer my captor, choosing instead to take in my surroundings. We seem to be moving through a forest, though at a very slow pace, judging by the horses slow trotting.

When he realises he isn't getting an answer from me, he chuckles again. "If you won't reply, I might as well just sedate you again."

I'm a dead woman anyway, so his threats do nothing but make me more intent on silence. I don't even focus on my surroundings; it's not like I want to escape.

"Have it your way then..." He pulls out another syringe from his bag and injects me with the same thing from earlier.

********************************************************************

I wake again, but this time it's in the dead of night. I stretch out my back. Oh, Gods. I'm on solid ground. It seems they had to take a break. We're still in the same gloomy forest as before, by the looks of it. I take in the moist soil under me and almost laugh.

How far I've come! Now I'm going to sleep on dirt.

"You're awake again? That was fast." He looks almost impressed. My confused face makes him explain. "That sleep serum I injected you with usually takes out a grown man for more than a day. You managed to wake up in less than four hours."

It must have something to do with my quick healing. My body probably flushes out toxins faster than a regular person. Speaking of flushing out toxins... I will most certainly wet myself if I don't use the bathroom soon.

"I need to use the bathroom." I look him straight in the eye as I speak, not backing down. It takes him by surprise. Clearly, no one has spoken like this to him before.

He pulls me up roughly and pushes me forward, guiding me to what looks like a tree. Gods, it stinks. Is this where he and his men relieved their bladders?

He waits patiently, as if I'll take my pants off in front of him. I stare him down, waiting for him to move. "I would like some privacy."

"No privacy for prisoners." He smirks

"I would rather gouge my own eyes out." I pronounce every syllable slowly, hoping he'll understand that I actually mean it.

"Then you'll have to wait until we reach the palace to relieve yourself." He gives me a wider smirk, showing me his teeth this time.

If this old man doesn't get out of my face, I'll have to gouge his eyes out. I shudder just thinking about his disgusting gaze watching me take my clothes off.

I take the initiative to walk back towards the camp where we were a few minutes ago. He follows me quickly, as if I'd make a run for it in the forest. I would've debated it if I didn't have so much to lose otherwise.

Miles is the prince of Avenlea, and that means that my life is expendable and his isn't. Even if I am what he suspects, then I'm sure another with that gift will come after my death. After all, prophecies need to be fulfilled, or they'd lose all meaning.

Back at the camp, I notice all the guards bundled up around the fire, basking in its warmth. It is quite cold, and I almost sit next to the fire myself. Almost. But a dead woman has no use for warmth, and so I find myself a nice, comfortable looking tree to rest my back against.

The officer catches up to me and pulls out another syringe before plunging it into my arm. His pitiful face is the last thing I see before I black out again.

********************************************************************

This time when I wake up, it's morning again, and I'm back on a horse. The officer from earlier isn't the one I'm leaning against now, though. I whirl my head to look at who it is.

He's younger, that's for sure. He might just be younger than I am... Edessa drafted such young boys into their army? That seemed particularly dangerous.

I turned my head around and straightened my back so that I wasn't leaning on him anymore. By my calculations, it's been a day since I was taken. If we're travelling to the capital, we should be there by tomorrow.

"Please stop." I shout loud enough for their leader to stop and look at me. "I need to relieve myself."

I say the second sentence with a much lower volume. He'd trotted his horse over to us and motioned for the boy behind me to help lower me off the horse.

The officer dragged me over to a far enough tree that I was shielded from the other soldiers gazes. He turned to look the other way this time, though that didn't stop my embarrassment. I might as well get used to humiliation. I'm sure there won't be a shortage of that waiting for me in the capital.

I finish my business, and we walk back to where the soldiers are waiting patiently. He pushes me towards the boy from earlier, who helps me onto the horse before climbing behind me.

I'm not sedated again, which is a relief. At least I could enjoy my last few hours in the world.

He motions for everyone to start moving, taking me closer and closer to my death.