Chapter 3

It turns out Miles plans on proving it to me by taking me over the border to Avenlea. I suppose I have nothing to lose by going with him. As long as he keeps me fed, I probably won't complain, even if he takes me straight to the emperor. The last few days were terrible. To afford a place to sleep at night, I'd had to skip a few meals.

"We'll have to cross through Edessa. It's the only way. I heard a few merchants mention that the harbors of Creola had too many guards from the Empire. It's probably safer to pass through the Empire because they would never expect you there." He's crouched over a map that he pulled out of Gods know where.

I don't know what's stupider—that he wants to enter the Empire or that I think it's a good plan. I sit next to him, cross legged. I weigh out the pros and cons of the plan. It's undeniable that entering the Empire is a great risk. If I'm recognized, I can be taken straight to the Emperor, but if he's right and Creola is swarming with guards, then Edessa may be the best course of action.

"Say I believe you... Which I obviously don't. Where is Avenlea? Show me on the map." I murmur. Part of me wants to believe him—believe that Avenlea truly exists. Melody's voice appears in my head, taking me back to my childhood.

***

"After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He possessed all the qualities a king should have—courage, intelligence, boldness, strength, and empathy—but most of all, the Gods had given him a quality of his own, something he could pass on to his children. They gave him fire. Fire that could bring down nations. The Gods blessed each of the eight great houses with an ability of their own." Melody said in her storytelling voice.

Bastian was sitting next to me, listening to his wife tell a story he had probably heard a million times by now, with a fascinated look on his face. Every night, I asked her to tell me how Avenlea was formed. She told me a new part every day. That day we'd reached the part I've been curious about from the beginning—the magical powers of the eight great houses.

"What powers did they have?" I whisper from under the blanket.

"The Archerons have the power of fire, as I'd said earlier, but they had an even more important power. It is how Avenlea remained a secret. They could build shields to keep people out of their kingdom as a protective measure. If the wrong people knew of Avenlea, they would try to exploit the powers of its people. The Griffins, who were the royal protectors, were blessed with enhanced physical abilities; they were stronger and faster than regular people. They protect the kingdom from anyone who wishes it harm. Then there are the Foxes, who have arguably the strongest ability; they can read minds..."

"Can they read my mind?" I yell, interrupting her.

"Yes, lovely girl. They can also change your thoughts to whatever they want. That's why they are so dangerous. Luckily for us, Foxes are loyal to a fault; they would never betray their king. Then come the Damaris; they can manipulate all elements other than time. Their ability to manipulate fire is significantly weaker than that of the Archerons, but they can manipulate it nonetheless. They mostly prefer to manipulate water as it is easier to control."

"Wow. I wish I could move water." My expression is one of awe.

"Then bathing you would be a nightmare, child." Bastian grumbles with a chuckle. Melody pokes his shoulder with a scowl. He takes her hand and kisses it.I watched the exchange with wonder. I wished to have a love like theirs one day.

"Anyway... Ravens could manipulate time, but this ability has not been used much in the last few years as it is better utilized in war. Florians were given the ability to shapeshift; they could turn into any animal they wanted. Most of them had a favorite animal to shift into, one that was close to their personalities. Lastly, there are the Valors, they are healers. They can heal any physical wound on a body as long as a person isn't dead."

"But that's only seven... What about the eighth house?" I mumble.

Melody lets out a sigh before saying, "There was only ever one Astor; the line died with her. It was truly a tragedy..."

"She died? How?" Death never sat right with me. The first time I saw Bastian hunt an animal, I cried for a whole week. Tears were already forming in my eyes

"The Astor ability was resurrection. Astor wanted to save a dead person; she didn't realize there would be a price. The Gods took away the only person she loved in exchange, her son. She took her own life soon after. Knowing that she caused her son's death was too much for her."

Tears streamed down my face. I never asked for more stories on Avenlea after that day.

***

Miles coughs pointedly next to me. He must've asked me a question.

"What did you say?" I ask.

"Are you in or not?"

"I'm in." I whisper. It was time to find out if there was any truth in Melody's stories.