chapter thirty-three: Under Cover of Night

Jett, Talvi, and Phoenix's pov:

"What are we going to do? Cedar has more followers than we do." Phoenix asks Talvi and Jett; they were still in the den, and none of the remaining other pack members dared to approach them. Talvi and Jett were still in the den, and none of the remaining other pack members dared to approach them.

"We are outcasts again. so that's something." Jett joked, his voice filled with bitterness. "Look, I know you both care about us, and I appreciate that. But we can't just sit here and do nothing. We have to prove ourselves and prove to Cedar that he's making a mistake. We have to find a way to regain our place in the pack." Talvi nodded, her eyes gleaming with determination. "You're right, Jett. We can't just give up. We have to fight for what's ours."

"We need to know what Solar is really up to." Jett said, "We need to find out why he's suddenly so interested in us and what he's planning. If we can prove to Cedar that Solar is a bigger threat than we are, maybe he'll change his mind." Phoenix nodded in agreement. "But how do we do that? How do we spy on him without him suspecting us?" he asked, worried about the consequences if they were caught.

"Cedar and I grew up in that pack; we know our father well." Jett began, "We could try to approach him and find a way to earn his trust. Maybe he'll tell us something about Solar if he thinks we can handle it. And if not, we could always convince him to spy on Solar for us. But it has to be done carefully. We can't just go to him and ask directly. We have to be subtle."

Talvi looked at Jett; her eyes narrowed in thought. "You're right. We have to be careful. We don't want to make things worse by being too bold. We could start by attending Solar's training sessions and seeing if anyone there is willing to talk to us. Or maybe we could sneak into their den at night when they're not expecting us," she suggested. Phoenix nodded in agreement. "I can help you with that. My family has always been the most agile in this pack, but not the stealthy, so I should be able to get in without being noticed," he said, his expression determined.

"you're kidding? You aren't the stealthy one out of us, Phoenix." Talvi said, surprised. Phoenix grinned. "Well, I'm not the best at stealth, but I'm the quickest here. I can use that to my advantage. Also, I can distract the guards while you and Jett sneak in." Jett nodded, glad to have such a skilled and supportive friend by their side.

"Should we wait till dusk or dark?" Phoenix asked, his voice barely above a whisper. "I think it's better if we wait till dark; that way, it'll be easier for us to move around without being seen." Jett agreed, looking around to make sure no one was listening in. They waited patiently, hiding in the shadows of the forest, until the sky had turned pitch black.