Chapter twenty-seven: Fate's Heavy Hand

author's note: it does take time for a wolf-shifter to fully heal an injury such as Cedar's, he was very lucky to survive such a wound, if the infection doesn't stop, there's a chance he'll have to lose a leg to stop sepsis from setting in, it can kill him. 

Cedar let out a weak chuckle; the sound was strained and hoarse. "Well then," he said, forcing a smile, "let's get this over with." The healer nodded solemnly and set to work cleaning and dressing the wound. The pain was excruciating, but Cedar gritted his teeth and bore it, refusing to let a single whine escape his lips. He knew that the pack was watching him, and he would not let them down.

Talvi was by his side, her eyes swelling with tears as she played with his hair gently, trying to comfort him. The other wolves formed a circle around them, their eyes fixed on the healer's every move. The pack healer worked methodically, using herbs and his knowledge to try and save Cedar's life. Time seemed to slow down as the tension in the air grew thick. Everyone knew that the odds were against them, but they refused to give up hope.

Blood oozed from the wound, staining the dirt floor of the clearing. The healer's every movement was slow and deliberate, and each breath was measured and careful. The wolves in the circle held theirs as well, the air thick with anticipation and fear. Time seemed to stand still as the healer worked, each passing moment feeling like an eternity. Phoenix's gaze darted between Cedar and the healer, his breath coming in short, ragged gasps.

A lump is forming in his throat, and his heart is racing as he watches the healer struggle to save Cedar's life. He feels a sense of helplessness, as if he could do something more to help his friend. As the healer works, Phoenix tries to focus on anything else—anything that will distract him from the tense silence and the awful certainty that this could be the end.

Cedar sensed Phoenix's fear and despair, and he struggled to reassure his friend with a small smile. "It'll be all right, I promise you that." Cedar reassured him. Blood stains his lips as he tries to squeeze out the words. His voice was barely audible, but Phoenix could hear it, and it gave him strength. The healer worked tirelessly, his hands moving faster now, as if he sensed the urgency of the situation. The wolves in the circle held their breath, their eyes fixed on the healer's every move.

"I've done all I could," the healer finally said, his voice barely audible above the sound of the wolves' collective breath. "It's up to fate now." His words hung heavy in the air as the pack waited with bated breath. The healer stepped back, revealing Cedar's injured side. the healer had managed to stop the bleeding. The pack exhaled in unison, the tension in the air beginning to dissipate.

The alpha's expression was somber as he regarded Cedar's injured side. "Cedar," he began, his voice grave, "you've been through a great ordeal. Your courage and strength in the face of such adversity are an inspiration to us all. But now it is time for you to rest. You must recover from your wounds and regain your strength. The pack will be by your side every step of the way." Cedar nodded weakly, tears welling up in his eyes. He knew that the road to recovery would be long and difficult, but he also knew that he would not be alone.