chapter one: beneath the moonlight

warning: there's a corpse mention in this chapter along some blood but not much and some fluff, you have been warned.

He could feel the weight of his fur vest, adorned with feathers and beads, pressing against his shoulders, a gift from his mother for his ascension to Beta. The air was filled with the excited chatter of their pack mates, anticipating the momentous event.

"You think dad would pick me up tonight?" Cedar asks nervously; he didn't know if it was a good idea to talk about it, but it was eating him up inside. Lily glances at him, her amber eyes softening. "Of course he will, Cedar. You've worked so hard, and you deserve this. Your father and I are so proud of you." She reaches over, giving his arm a gentle squeeze. Her touch sent warmth throughout his small frame, giving him strength.

The smell of meat hit his nose, and he dare not ask for some as his gaze Observes the spit in the corner, full of meat cooking for the ceremony. Music filled his ears; he wanted to join the dance with other wolves. He knew that's not a very prestigious thing to do, as the beta-in-waiting should maintain his composure. But he was just a young wolf, and this was his moment.

He watches from his highest rock as Luna and Jace dance to the music. Their bodies move in perfect harmony, and their eyes are locked on each other. He feels a twinge of envy, wishing he could have that kind of connection with someone. The night grows late, and the ceremony comes to an end. His father, Solar, steps forward, clapping his massive paws together to get everyone's attention.

"Tonight, we shall have a new beta to lead the clan!" His voice boomed across the clearing, echoing off the surrounding trees. Cedar's heart skipped a beat as he glanced at his mother, who was watching their father intently. She seemed confident that he would choose her son, but a flicker of uncertainty passed through Cedar's mind. He knew the competition was fierce, with both Jett and Shadow vying for the position.

If Solar had chosen Jett rather than Shadow or him, all hope for the pack's future would be lost. Cedar thinks to himself as he watches his father, Solar, carefully. Solar looks at each of them, one by one, before finally selecting Jett. His heart sinks as the reality of the situation hits him like a ton of bricks. Jett, who had always been more interested in power than the well-being of the pack, would now become the new Beta.

"Jett, you have been chosen to be beta in waiting." Solar announced the shocking news as it rippled through the pack. Cedar's face contorted into a mask of anger and disbelief. He knew Jett was ambitious, but he never thought his own father would choose him over him. The bitter taste of betrayal filled his mouth as he watched Jett step forward, his chest puffed up with pride. "About time, father," Jett sneered, his gaze flickering briefly to Cedar before moving on.

Jett walked up to the highest rock where Solar stood, his posture arrogant and self-assured. The other wolves in the pack murmured among themselves, some expressing their approval while others looked at Cedar with sympathy. He could feel their eyes on him, the weight of their judgment pressing down on his shoulders.

Artemis's moonlight shone upon Jett's fur as he stood before Solar, the newly appointed Beta-in-Waiting. Cedar's eyes narrowed, and his teeth gritted in anger. He felt a sharp pain in his chest, as if a dagger had been driven through it. The betrayal was too much to bear.

"Why did you pick him?! He will doom us all!" Cedar roared, his voice filled with anguish and rage. "You could have chosen Shadow or me; we would have been better betas! But no, you had to choose him!" His words echoed through the clearing, the other wolves exchanging uncomfortable glances as they listened to the outburst.

Solar gave the outraged wolf below a look of disappointment. "Cedar, you are my son and the future alpha of this pack. You need to control your emotions and act like the leader you are meant to be," he informed. His voice was stern but filled with love and concern. "Jett may not be my first choice, but he has proven himself capable and loyal to the pack. We must work together now for the greater good."