chapter thirty-two: A Pack Divided

Phoenix and asher's Pov:

Phoenix never thought being a part of the Shadowclan pack would be so exhausting. He knew the risk of dying at such a young wolf-shifter age, but he had no idea how much effort and dedication it would take to prove himself as a warrior. He had always been the smallest and most fragile of his litter, yet he was determined to show everyone that he was just as strong and brave as his siblings.

Being friends with Cedar, Jett, and Talvi had its perks. He had learned a lot from them, and he had grown closer to them as the days passed. They were like family to him, and he would do anything to protect them. Even though they were all in the shadow clan, they were still his friends.

"hey Phoenix! Have you checked the borders yet? They need to be marked again." Asher calls out to him as he runs past, his muscles tense and ready for a fight. Phoenix nods, wiping the sweat from his brow. He knew it was important to keep the borders safe, but he was tired. He hadn't seen a single threat in days.

"No, I haven't, but I saw the solar flare pack earlier today. They seemed to be patrolling around our territory. I think they're just making sure we know they're still here." Phoenix responds, following Asher. He knew that the solar flare pack was a threat to their territory, and they had to be careful. Even though they were friends with some of the wolves in that pack, they could not trust them completely.

"I can't get over the fact Ash would let two solarflare wolves into our pack!" Asher growls, his golden eyes narrowing. Phoenix winces. He knew that Asher is Ash's right-hand man and how they do get fun of each other because their names sound so similar, but he didn't think it was that serious. He was worried that Asher might snap at him any second.

"You think they might be causing a war with us again? We haven't had a war for 200 moons." Phoenix says, trying to calm him down. "And I'm sure Ash knows what he's doing. He's our alpha for a reason."

"Ash was our alpha, remember? Cedar took over after he won the challenge and proved his worth. You should go to him." Asher reminded Phoenix that his tone was less accusatory and more comforting. "He's always willing to listen." Phoenix nodded, grateful for the reminder. He had never questioned Cedar's leadership before, and he didn't want to start now.

Phoenix didn't want to make of it; he had been a part of the shadowclan pack for many moons and admired Asher for his loyalty and leadership, but he was right. He should talk to Cedar. The new alpha had been kind to him and had always been there for him. Phoenix didn't want to betray his trust or cause any trouble.

"What do you think of Cedar? I only have known him for a time; he's fun to be around." Phoenix says that as he followed Asher, the scent of pine trees and freshly turned earth filled his nose. "He's kind, and he always seems to know what to do."

Asher sighed as they walked deeper into the forest. "Cedar is a good alpha. He's fair and wise, unlike some of the others we've had in the past. He's also very strong, both physically and mentally. I trust him with my life. But," he hesitated, "there are times when I wonder if he's too trusting. Like with Jett and Talvi. I know they're his closest friends, but they've been known to stir up trouble before. I just hope they don't do anything to jeopardize our pack's safety."

"He's way too trusting for his own good," Asher murmured, shaking his head. Phoenix knew what he meant. Jett and Talvi were talented warriors and fiercely loyal to the pack, but they could also be reckless at times. They seemed to enjoy pushing boundaries and testing Cedar's limits, even though it could potentially cause harm to the pack.

"He was lucky to win the challenge, and he proved his worth, but it almost killed him. he's strong. I gotta give you that." Asher said, his tone laced with admiration. Phoenix nodded in agreement. They continued walking for a while, their paws padding silently on the soft forest floor.