In the Deer Stand

I carry Sluggy in a cradle hold and walk towards the deer stand. "Are you excited? I know you haven't been out in years and honestly, I haven't either. I wouldn't consider that whole knife hunting as real hunting."

A twig snaps catches my attention and I look in its direction. A crow caws and I decide that it must've been the cause of the twig snapping. With the source now found, I continue walking.

When my deer stand comes into view I shoulder my gun and speed walk towards it. I get to be back with my two best friends today.

The weeds scratch at my legs and I give them the finger. Fucking weeds scratching me like the little brats they are. I have half a mind to torch them after this problem is solved.

Finally I get out of the scratchy weeds and to my stand. I climb up into the stand and lean Sluggy against the wall. I open the windows and then start talking to my oldest friends.

"It's great for the three of us to be together again. Now for the record, I would like to state that it's neither of your faults that I died. I should've been concerned when I heard that click. I should've checked it out and instead I was killed. Sluggy it's not your fault your safety was turned off and deer stand, it's not your fault that I chose to be in you instead of a different stand." I rest one hand on Standy and the other on Sluggy.

"Do you two want to hear all about what happened after I died?" I ask them. A stream of light filters in and Sluggy shines. I'll take that as a yes.

I go on and on about what happened. "Let me tell you Sluggy, I hated having to use a knife to kill deer. That's how I got into this whole mess anyway. I was perched on a branch above a bs patch, which sucked because being in Standy is way better, when this doe walked up to eat. I jumped down and slit her throat. I gutted her and took a bite out of her heart, that's when Bastion saw me. Apparently I killed the queen that was out to get him and he became obsessed with me."

I twig snaps and I look up. I don't see anything and I continue my story.

"Bastion kidnapped me, chained me to the wall, locked me away inside, and broke my hands. He said he loved me but that's not what you do to someone you love. You don't isolate them and hurt them." I take my hands off my friends and cross them with a glare.

Another twig snaps and this time I spot something. The bushes are rustling and out hops a deer.

Muscle memory kicks in and I shoulder my gun

Muscle memory kicks in and I shoulder my gun. I line up my scope on the spot behind the buck's elbow and envision the blood splatter that follows my shot.

This isn't the buck I'm after though. I slowly lower my gun with a sigh. The buck looks up at my noise before turning his head and looking at something behind him.

His ears twitch first left then right. I watch as his eyes go wide and his nose flares. He raises his tail and takes off into the trees. This could potentially mean something is coming this way.