𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

After a week, Lars forgave Vivian. Julie had done so almost instantly, never having the ability to stay mad at her family for long. As for Jane, she was never angry, she was just unhappy that there was conflict.

Once that had concluded, however, the weeks went by in a blur. Especially for Vivian, who wasn't accustomed to constantly having fun things to do and not being suffocated by impending loneliness.

Using Apparition for transportation, Julie took her children and niece to a rocky beach, an ice cream parlor, charming restaurants, and several hiking trips. Vivian felt most fortunate, falling asleep each night with a growing warmth in her chest.

But now, September first was just three days away and a new school, new people, and a new curriculum were threatening her with "maybe's" and "what if's".

She wanted to tell her father about her worries and fears, but she hadn't heard from him for nearly a month. She didn't think Anders would be of much comfort, anyway, but it would've been nice to receive a letter.

Over those same several weeks, the girl had directly disobeyed her father by visiting the orphanage. She went there quite often, then lied to her aunt and said she only went for walks in the forest.

Julie, who had great trust in her children, was completely clueless. She always knew her niece enjoyed nature, so it was plenty plausible.

And now was one of those times when Vivian visited the orphanage in secret. She felt a little guilty about doing so, but she was so drawn to the place, perhaps George too, but she'd never admit to that.

"You still haven't told me the rest of the story." Vivian said, stroking the cat's head.

Holly purred with contentment as she rested on the girl's lap, enjoying the breeze that ruffled her fur.

George broke the acorn he was fiddling with. "The story?"

She nodded and pointed to Holly.

"Oh, I recall now." He moved his hands as if illustrating his words, "Ms. Woodard sent me out to town for an errand. She was awful bitter that day and told me I was to go straight to the butcher and return. I was not to be seen gawking at candies or sports equipment."

She snickered. "Go on."

"Anyway, I get there and I get the box full of meat and am about to leave, but, Mr. Hess tells me to come around the shop counter to see something."

Vivian raised a brow.

George laughed. "I was a little uncertain, really, so I just peered over the top instead of following him. But I was both shocked and pleased to see that behind the counter, he had a crate full of kittens. He said his daughter's cat had given birth and then offered me one."

"And you took Holly?"

"And I took Holly."

She grinned and patted the animal. She wished she had a cat of her own, or even a dog.

"But my god was Ms. Woodard mad." He chuckled, "I did what I was told, I went straight to the butcher and back. She got even madder when I told her that."

"How did you convince her to let you keep her?" The girl wondered.

"I convinced Ms. Bullock, and that was enough. She was able to persuade the others, who all told me that if my cat caused any trouble, they'd throw her out immediately."

Vivian shook her head. "Holly is an angel."

"Absolutely, but the squirrels don't think so."

Vivian smiled lightly, then changed the subject. "What do you think you'll do once you're finished with school? You'll have to leave here, won't you?"