𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

"Hey!" Said a high-pitched voice.

Tom glanced at the child, his scowl deepening at the sight of her.

"Go away." He spat.

She stayed put. "I want my yo-yo back!"

"Maria, for the last time," He finished scrubbing the dirty plate he held, "I don't have it!"

"Then who does?" She stomped her foot.

He laughed bitterly. "Beats me." He stepped down from the stool, his morning chore now complete.

The boy exited the kitchen but became annoyed as footsteps sounded behind him.

"Never mind that, I know it was you!"

He turned to her. "Prove it."

Maria couldn't do so, but the feeling that he was a liar persisted.

"That's what I thought." He jeered, walking quickly down the hallway.

♛ ♛ ♛ ♛

The weather was colder than the day before; its heavy wind chilled Tom's skin through his thin sweaters. The month of November brought the bareness of trees, frigid rain, and the death of any plants that would otherwise make the forest lush with green.

Tom neared the oak tree as leaves of all colors crunched beneath his feet. The crisp air smelled of pine needles and earth; the dampness made it quite potent.

His eyes scanned the area, which was now brown and empty.

He frowned after noticing the girl was not there. She told him she would be, but her absence made it clear that she had lied.

With more thought, Tom realized a small part of him had been looking forward to her company. That made him angry with himself, but it didn't matter anyway, for she had not shown up.

Sighing, the boy sat on the oak's roots and retrieved a yo-yo from his pocket. He made loops with the string, watching as it twirled around his fingers.

Suddenly, he felt something hit his head from above.

His gaze followed the item that fell, seeing that it was a bunch of rope.

He glanced up to witness Vivian, who sat on a high branch of his tree with a grin on her face.

"Hi, Tom!" She shouted.

Oh, she was there the whole time.

"Hello." He replied flatly.

The girl dropped another object, making him flinch as it landed by his side.

It was a pair of scissors, how bizarre.

"That could've stabbed me!" He complained.

She leaned forward to put her hands on a lower branch, slipping off the one she sat on and swinging to the ground.

She now stood in front of him, still smiling.

He frowned. "You could've hurt yourself."

"I brought." Vivian ignored his words, gesturing to the rope and scissors, "Sticks?"

"Huh?"