Chapter 44: Hard to Let Her Go

It's already 9:30pm when the Manalos are now in their beds to rest from a successful surprise party they planned. With Anna tucked in her bed - feeling happy, sleepy, and at the same time, couldn't help but to wonder about Ka. Eduardo and Angelo's conversation; the latter went inside his father's office for a talk while remembering what had transpired few hours ago.

୨୧

Angelo Eraño Manalo

After I tucked in my son to bed and kissed him and my wife a goodnight, I quietly went to Dad's office for a good talk and apology.

We just had a little fight - which almost got caught by the birthday girl afterwards. I feel bad for raising my voice at him kanina. But... alam naman niya na dadating din ang araw that Anna will no longer be with us and she'll learn that she's a Marcos, right? But... he's still reluctant in bringing her back to the family who longed for their only princess.

Akala ko gagawin na niya yun? Tulad ng sinabi niya kay tito Bong kanina at pinayo ni Mom sa kanya last time? Dad, anggulo mo. 😥

That's the cause of the tension between us.

earlier ⋯

Saktong paglabas ko from my bedroom after finding the song I'll be dancing with Anna mamaya on my laptop, I heard Dad's telephone ringing that echoed through the hallway. 'Di ako mapakali na pumunta agad sa office niya and immediately answered the phone call.

"Hello. You're calling from the landline of the Iglesia Ni Cristo's Central Office, what can we do for you?" I began politely.

[Bong: 'Uhm... Angelo?]

I already recognized who's speaking from the other line, "T-Tito? Tito Bongbong?" I spoke afterwards, "Musta ka na po, tito?" tanong ko.

[Bong: *chuckles lightly* Oh, exhausted from the rally kanina, inaanak. Muntik na ako mabalian ng braso. *chuckles* But I'm good, 'Gelo hijo. Don't worry about me.]

"I see, tito." I nodded, remembering the footage of him screaming in pain when someone grabbed his hand tightly at... nevermind, then nagsalita ulit after a few seconds of silence, "Uhm... what brings you today?"

[Bong: In the middle of the night? Oh, late night phone calls were a part of my up ringing. Get it?]

Both of us chuckled after tito made a pun. (cttro of this pun)

[Bong: Uhmm... I was just wondering if I can schedule a courtesy call with your dad. When is he available pala?]

"Hmmm... hold on," I nodded, then grabbed the calendar from his desk and checking the schedule and the dates. "Hmm... maybe at 15. After his visit dun sa Parañaque. It ain't that long, uuwi naman kami afterwards. Will do? Ohh. Tawagin ko lang muna si Dad, s'ya po ang bahala dyan. M'kay po?"

[Bong: Go ahead. Gusto ko rin siyang kausapin, eh.]

"Gonna hold muna for a while po," I laid the telephone on his desk and went straight downstairs and saw Dad, Mom, ate Gemms, and the others are still entertaining themselves with the movie Walang Take Two.

"Dad. Schedule ka daw po ng courtesy call." sabi ko, but before that, "Oh, and kakausapin ka niya po." saka mauna ako bumalik sa opisina at sinabi kay tito Bong na paakyat na siya in a few minutes.

At saktong pagpasok ni Dad, I handed the phone to him at siya naman ang kinausap ni tito Bongbong.

"Hello?" panimula neto, then dere-derecho yung pagkasabi niya with a chuckle, "Oh! Bonget! Ayos naman, salamat sa Diyos. Musta ka na?" then followed by a nod as I watched his movements, "Good. Good. Salamat naman sa Diyos."