Chapter 2: Growing Up

Anna just woke up from her short nap right after finishing the remaining tasks for school. She was greeted by the sunlight hitting her face that made her groan and eyes shrink. She rolled on her belly hanggang siya ay naka-pwesto na ng pahiga.

"Mhmm... anong oras na?" Anna weakly groaned, then looked over to her bedside table at the left, where her phone rests. She put her hand out to reach it until she grabbed it with her hand.

"2:00 pm na pala?" she muttered while rubbing her eyes and yawned, as she slowly got up from her bed and did some arm and shoulder stretches.

As Anna opened the door and went out of the room bitbit pa yung cellphone niya with her earphones, she walked downstairs and noticed that walang tao sa baba. Especially the kids. Until she remembered that may online class pa pala sila until 4:30 pm, and the adults — lalo na ang Ka. Eduardo, are still in the Templo Central for an international conference for ministers and ministerial workers. Busy bees as always, lalo na't pangmalawakan ang responsibilities nila in overseeing the brothers and sisters in that religion.

She thought it would be nice to chill at the living room and wait for them until the conference is finished, so Anna went to the kitchen and made herself a mocha latte and heated the leftover grilled cheese sandwich.

The dalagita went back to the living room and placed her snack on the coffee table. She started sipping her mocha latte while listening to her favorite playlist and scrolling on social media to see what's going on lately. But she got bored after 5 minutes, and decided to roam around the house.

Napatayo si Anna and she found herself walking towards the entry hall where the pictures of her and the family were hanging on the walls. Coincidentally, she listens to one of her favorite songs of Taylor Swift titled: The Best Day. She couldn't help but to smile as she looked at one picture after another as the lady recalled the moments they had together.

From her first birthday, first day of school... Anna had her eyes locked on the framed image of her 7-year old self, beaming with her bunny smile that showed her dimple at her left cheek. That's her photo as the Mang-aawit in the Children's Worship Service/Pagsamba ng Kabataan that was taken during the Anniversary Thanksgiving, the first tupad of her duty in the church.

flashback

"Daddy E!" the 7-year-old Anna, still in her toga and hair tied in a bun with net and black ribbon at the back, ran towards Ka. Eduardo's arms and hugged tightly.

"Anna, baby! Angling-galing mo kanina! Lalo na sa Processional, kinabisado mo ng todo," he praised while giving kisses on the cheek and forehead.

Staying back and watching me shine

Anna giggled, "Thank you po! But..." she paused, remembering that she cried too much at the last two choruses and the coda, "I think I cried a lot po, Daddy E." she uttered in all honesty then shifted her gaze at the pavement with her cheeks burning in embarrassment.

Ka. Eduardo gently cupped her face with his soft palms, feeling the warmth through her skin, "Anna, it shows that you're not hiding to God — and to us about your feelings. It's okay to cry it out. Showing your tears is not a sign of weakness. It's a natural thing, baby." explain neto sa kanya.

The little girl perked up and showed her teeth as she smiled. "Totoo po yun?"

Ka. Eduardo nodded as Anna hugged him back tightly.

end of flashback

Next, the lady shifted her gaze to the family portrait that was taken when she's 6 years old, months after Andrea Alexa De Guzman — the first granddaughter of Ka. Eduardo, was brought into the world with joy.